New Photograph Added

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it. Did you scorch it before using the mini arbortec? and what did you scorch it with? Truly fine piece that i can only aspire to at the mo, well done,

Yours jealously,

Aidan

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for the kind words, I trued up the outer face, cut all the grooves, the Arbortech cutter was used with the lathe's tool rest set to cut on or just below centre. The diiferent angles of the grooves were made by angling the Arbortech cutter above or below centre.

The grooves were then scorched with a gas torch, I use a small Rothenburger one from Germany that burns about 1500c.

When the grooves and scorching were finished I then cut out the central dish part.

CC

Superfine, CC!

Not something I have tried yet - but, one day...........

The rim of your platter looks as though, and I imagine, it is quite thin. If so, although it obviously is not so in your case, might there be potential for distorting the rim from the heat applied to achieve the scorching? Any advice you can give might save me from wasting wood in due course!!

Trev.

Hi Trev,

The rim was scorched while the area was still at the full 2" thickness. This is mainly because cutting with the Arbortech can be a little vigorous at times if you're not careful, so if I cock up I can reface the timber and start again with cutting the grooves.

After the scorching is finished I then work from the back of the blank to get the rim thickness I'm looking for, take extra care if you ever work on the chuck side of the blank.

When the back of the blank is nearly finished, I then turn the blank over and, holding it with a friction type drive remove all evidence of chucking on the base. I have a vacuum chuck on order from the US and when this finally gets here it'll make this part of the turning so much easier.

CC

Back