New photo added to the woodturning gallery.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've added a photograph in the woodturning gallery of a new piece I've just completed, it's called "Patches".

Patches was turned from a wet sycamore branch and has very thin walls, a coloured design was added and the top section cut out to match the decoration, the colour was applied using Chesnut's spirit dyes.

The bulk of the cutting out was done with the Foredom unit and all the edges had a final sanding with fine abrasive fastened to a palette knife.

CC

CC,

It looks great. I am not a turner and am always puzzled by some things - like how do you get the straight edged designs and nice black dividing lines on something like this? Was it simply a question of masking up or is there something else being done here?

CC,

Says "Mondrian" to me. Unusual, and rather appealing. I like it. :D

I'm with Chris; any further info on how you did it would be welcome.

Cheers, Alf

Really good CC!
The walls are so thin! Looks like you could put you finger through them!
I like the clour design and cut outs at the top.
Also interested in how you prevented bleeding with the stains??

Saw this piece on WoW CC, and i think its fantastic. The walls are so thin, how do you do that?

Colours are great.......and i love the top edge too with its multi levels, i can only aspire.

Aidan.

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words, Mondrian was a source of inspiration for Patches, I was guilty of watching TV in a moment of boredom and saw a Dennis Waterman drama about fakes in the artworld.

When I initially drew the shapes onto the vase I used a pencil and when satisfied scored heavily over the lines with the same pencil. I applied the coloured stains in light washes and the scored lines stopped the colours bleeding through.

For the black lines I put the piece back on the lathe and made a little jig to hold a black Sharpie marker pen and moved this sideways for the vertical lines and turned the lathe by hand for the horizontal ones.

Cutting to the thin walls is pretty easy as most of the wood I use is turned wet and this cuts like butter with a decent tool. The biggest problem is remembering to finish the walls in stages as you go deeper, otherwise they go out of round as the wood dries and make it impossible to get a decent finish.

CC

If it`s real it`s superb, but it looks like a PC generated image to me.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I do not have the time to sit at a computer generating images, I'm to busy turning.

As they say "Ignorance Is Bliss" and your comments were certainly that.

CC

Hi CC

Much as I loath Mondrian's work, I really do like your three dimensional version.
I think the warm, translucent colours and an absence of white (prevalent in Monrian's work) really make the piece.

By the way, did you know that Mondrian hated trees and could not bear to even look at them? In fact, he moved tables in restaurants to avoid seeing them out of the window :roll:

Looking forward to the next piece with envy

Cheers

Tony (who doesn't think it was computer generated)

Hi All,

I'm doing a Neil, forgetting to sign in before posting.

I use this forum to learn whatever I can from woodworkers and, hopefully pass on advice wherever possible to turners that also use the forum.

What I find annoying and most offensive are inane comments like the one posted by Jim.

Jim":3w3tuwgn said:
If it`s real it`s superb, but it looks like a PC generated image to me.

CC

Anonymous":chudv0fo said:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I do not have the time to sit at a computer generating images, I'm to busy turning.

As they say "Ignorance Is Bliss" and your comments were certainly that.

CC

OK, I take it back, it IS superb :D (sorry for any offence caused (grovel)) :roll:

Back