New or used Biscuit Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a fair number of second hand ones on ebay.

I used to have the ferm, and I really would not recommend it. I found it virtually impossible to get a flat joint. As others have said, the fence can move if doing multiple cuts. NOT a good thing.

I have recently bought the dewalt. It is a quality piece of kit. I would say don't waste your time with a cheapy as it will only frustrate you.

The key to using the biscuit jointer is to avoid using the fence as much as possible anyway. Not a bad article on same in the current issue (yes, February - not March!) of Popular Woodworking (US)

Cheers, Alf

You could always use a router, the bit is within budget, until you are able to buy a better machine. However, having invested in a Festool Domino, I have moved onto a stronger, cleaner system and no longer use my biscuit joiner.

Freetochat":pjd2kfhi said:
However, having invested in a Festool Domino, I have moved onto a stronger, cleaner system and no longer use my biscuit joiner.
Nice idea, pity it doesn't work too well in 15mm MFC.......

Scrit

Freetochat":1tvxn4i7 said:
. . I . . . no longer use my biscuit joiner.

So is your poor old biscuit jointer looking for a new life in the sun, down Togo way? :lol: I'd be happy to take it off your hands - free up a bit of shelf space like :wink:

Steve

Scrit":2b8rv4qf said:
Freetochat":2b8rv4qf said:
However, having invested in a Festool Domino, I have moved onto a stronger, cleaner system and no longer use my biscuit joiner.
Nice idea, pity it doesn't work too well in 15mm MFC.......

Scrit

Scrit

I haven't used it in 15mm MFC, but I have in 18mm. I have found breakout is a problem in 'end' grain (ie not laminated), but less so in face or edge that have been edged or laminated. But as you point out something to be considered. MDF and P lyseems not to have the same risks.

Freetochat":x13c8v7m said:
I have found breakout is a problem in 'end' grain (ie not laminated), but less so in face or edge that have been edged or laminated. But as you point out something to be considered. MDF and P lyseems not to have the same risks.
I was chatting to a kitchen fitter/maker before Christmas who'd purchased one (a Domino) and then regretted the decision for that reason (in fact using it with MFC in general), hence the comment. I'm afraid, though, that I still see it as a solution in search of a problem and I've yet to come across any situation in the shop or on site which would benefit from a Domino - possibly because I'm a long time static mortising machine, portable biscuit jointer and dowel user so I'd be more inclined to go for a Mafell DD40 Duo Dowler and setting-out bar over the Domino, especially if a lot of sheet material carcasses were envisaged

Scrit

Back