New or second hand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am wondering if buying a machine a from a store like Axminster which has been on display should be classed as new or should it be classed as second hand

I got a factory 2nds #TS250 off Ax. And to be honest I'd rather have paid full price.
The cast top is fitted to the lower frame squint. So if at 90deg the saw is square to the slots/fence, when i angle it over to 45deg, the leading edge impacts the cast top. If i align it so its about square so neither 90 or 45 impacts the top, it is by no way square to the fence or slots, and even after ages of fiddling.
Getting it to bestish position, theres a few mills of run out front to back of the fence.

This problem have annoyed the hell out of me since i bought the ffing thing. The only way i think to rectify it is to completely remove the cast top, then redrill the frame or widen the holes to give me a bit of wiggling room. How effective that will be i dont know, its a job ive been happily ignoring for the last 7 years,choosing to leave it at 90deg and use the bandsaw to make 45deg rips.

As im selling the saw to just go bandsaw(+plunge saw) im going to have to finally make a job of this and try to make it more saleable.

So if buying anything from ax thats been a customer return, or reconditioned or factory 2nd. Be very aware and ask specific questions as to why or what the issues it had or has.

One thing that has just occurred to me is that often display models be it a car or a table saw often have the extra bells and whistles fitted to them that otherwise come as options to be added, so yes a small discount for it being an ex display model would be good , but if lucky you might just be getting a bargain:)

One thing that has just occurred to me is that often display models be it a car or a table saw often have the extra bells and whistles fitted to them that otherwise come as options to be added, so yes a small discount for it being an ex display model would be good , but if lucky you might just be getting a bargain:)
I reckon a shop floor display model will also be well set up, and i know they do run them, just basically to stick a bit of pine through to show working or action of cross cut sliding table etc. But even then given its length of service and proposed use, the odd 'try out' is nothing to be concerned about.

I got a factory 2nds #TS250 off Ax. And to be honest I'd rather have paid full price.
Did they not say why it was a factory 2nd, that way you may have made a different decision.

As im selling the saw to just go bandsaw(+plunge saw) im going to have to finally make a job of this and try to make it more saleable.
Hats off to you, not just selling and passing on the problem but giving the next owner a good saw.

They did say that it didnt line up properly, but understated exactly how bad it was. tthe term 'within accepted limits' was used. It was effectively my first decent saw from college, where I'd spent 3 years using a Wadkin PK, big £15k panel saws etc etc, and couldnt afford anything else or have the space for a big 2nd hand wadkin etc type.

And yeah, tidying it up is the thing to do. It's too big and cumbersome and i need to maximize the limited space i have, new benches, more things i can fold up. Im even looking at designing a fold down bench rather than some 5'x2' bench, that just takes up room but becomes a surface for stuff to gather on. More organization is needed for me. Time to get my house in order, otherwise it makes working difficult. With that saw set up fully with its sliding table, the benches as they are, theres literally no room to assemble anything.

So im starting again, using knowledge gained and people from here's workshop pics as a guide to how best to lay it all out.
I'l build a book shelf type thing, and transfer al powertools into bosch L-boxx's so they stack neatly on their own shelf, not in a pile.

Have to admit that some of the machines on display in the Sittingbourne store leave a lot to be desired re the putting together by the staff, all sorts of problems with alignment, cross threaded bolts, guards not attached correctly I could go on, but I think you get the picture "Caveat Emptor". But I had a TS250 delivered to me in France and it arrived with all its extra side extension and long fence in perfect condition, not from a store I hasten to add.

the term 'within accepted limits'
That is nothing more than a get out clause. Some peoples limits are not acceptable to others and most of us have probably learnt this the hard way.

Space is so valuable, with a big floorspace so much becomes easy and having a large sliding tablesaw would be so lovely but then only having limited space has made people more inventive to come up with some really good space saving solutions.

Latest posts

Back