New, old Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around for a new saw to upgrade to from my B&Q noisy brush motor saw. I have looked at the SIP, Record and the nice looking iron beastie that Philly bought. Well I know some of you don't like EBay but that’s where I got this one from.
Dscn3098s.jpg

Its an British made saw table :D
Dscn3099s.jpg

Does any one know if there is anywhere I can trace that machine number?
Wadkin now appear to only make CNC moulding machines. :wink:
It would be nice to know just when this heavy iron left the factory. 8)
The only thing that is stopping me from using it, no 3 phase :twisted:
Dscn3107s.jpg

but a single phase motor should only be £100 :) for a new one.
It did not come with a riving knife or guard but the fitting is still there to mount them on. :D
Dscn3106s.jpg

It also has a long arbour so I could mount a Dado cutter. :evil:
I find the size of the machine adjustment mechanism very reassuring.
Dscn3110s.jpg

rise and fall
Dscn3111s.jpg

tilt (sorry bit blurred)
It uses a triple belt drive and the motor mounts on a large adjustable plate so fitting a new motor should not be too hard :D

Cost £300, I think I did OK.

Dave Sadly wadkin are no more, they only exist in the service department, which still services the multi spindle moulding machines they were making the last time I went around the factory. I know a chap who worked within their development workshop he may have an idea regarding the use of the serial numbers. In fact the service department may be able to help you with regard to spares etc. The next time I see him I will ask.

Bean

Nice buy Dave :wink:

I work with the ex-engineering manager from Wadkins and will talk with him about spares, discounts etc.

Nice one Dave
Great purchase!
£300-you lucky git! Cast iron, hmm. You should talk to the unbelievers....
best regards
Philly :D

Dave I spoke to the chap i know he thinks that the first two numbers are the year of manufacture, yours are 72 so it should date to 1972, so its comming up for its 33rd birthday next year! An excelent buy dave I hope all will go well with your switchgear and motor upgrade :D

Bean

Bean,

Thanks for asking about this, nice to know how old the iron is. :D

I am thinking of replacing the 2HP 3ph motor with a 3HP 1ph one.

I have looked at them and starters from a number of suppliers and I like the look of the Axminster stuff best.
The starter is dear from them but has big buttons and they say it can be used with foot switches to kill the feed.
A 3HP motor and starter will be £131.31 while 2HP would be £103.71. I think that less than £30 extra would be well spent. 8)

I have looked at what Andy Dingley has done with his 1962 10AGS. He went for 3HP, the pulley looks a bit tricky. It will need rebored or a new one made/bought.

Dave
Check with enginering suppliers as they may stock pullies in standard sizes, It may well be cheaper to replace with a new standard sized pully than to bore an old one out.

Bean

Well here is a quick update.
I bought a new 3hp single phase motor.
Dscn3170s.jpg

and as you can see the pulley needed boring out, well that is done, new belts have been fitted along with a new starter. The workshop now has a 16A socket, just for the saw.
Dscn3195s.jpg

Thats just made its first cut with the new motor installed.
I need to shuffle the machines to get best positions for working. I also need to make or buy a crown guard as the saw did not come with one. Dust collection in the 1970s appears to have been a boy with a broom, so work on that front(side) needs to be done as well.

I love the quiet hum of the induction motor instead of the roar of the brush motor in the old saw and the extra size and weight gives a much smoother cut in use.

wood1000":1qhfbbi1 said:
Nice find,here a sorce for dado cutter

I have beaten you to it, I picked up a Freud 8" set second hand from another member of the forum. I have not tried it out yet as I need to make a suitable insert for it.
But thanks for the link, added to my bookmarks.

Latest posts

Back