New oak table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonA

Established Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd post some pics of the oak dining table that I'm just about finish....well I have finished building it, just not finished finishing it....if you know what I mean :?

Anyhow its the fist time that I've posted any pics so theres bound to be some teething problems :oops: so I'll post these one at a time.

Dinning_3.jpg

Heres all the timber fresh from British Hardwoods. I've planed up the legs already, but theres still a whole load more to do!!

Dinning.jpg

Here you can see the rails and stretchers done.

Dinning_5.jpg

And now I've finished the top too.....just waiting to get started on the joinery.

Dinning_11.jpg

These are the two short ends of the table base glued and pegged.

Dinning_12.jpg

And a bit more of a close up.

Dinning_13.jpg

A close up of the finished base......its on those blocks because I'm going to add the first coat of T&T Danish oil to it.

Dinning_14.jpg

Heres a wider shot of the whole base.

Dinning_9.jpg

The 3/8" dowels that I used.

Dinning_6.jpg

And last but not least the fantastic Tried and True finishing oils!

I'll add some more pics of the table once I've completed the finish.

SimonA

[/img]

Howdy fellas.....its hard to get 4" legs totally dried even when you Kiln dry them, so British Hardwoods drill out the centres of the legs and then kiln dry them. That way they guarantee they won't spilt.

The table top is fix on by way of some wooden buttons, now these little things don't look much but just one of them can pick up the whole base!!
And I've put ten on, three on the long sides and two on the short.

Actually John you can see the new staircase that I put in about three years ago in the background of those pics. I'd love to build a nice oak one though :D

SimonA

Great job 8)

Did you consider a very light chamfer around the bottom
edges of the legs, to stop any fraying?

If yes.......... I'll get my coat :oops:

TX

I did indeed TX.....I've also added some think felt feet to stop it scratching the oak floor. No need to get you coat! :p

SimonA

Soz forgot to say good job looks pukka m8 , soz to WH you were right god what it must be to be right all the time :lol: just gettin me at n coat :oops:

Si,

Cool 8) Can't wait to see it with the finish, too. :D I didn't realise BHW did that with the thick stuff; worth knowing.

Cheers, Alf

Nice job simon. Didn't know about the hole drilling idea when drying thick wood, interesting.

Cheers peeps for all the great replies :lol:

Philly, I got the T&T oils through Mike Hancock at Classic Hand Tools. I have a review of them coming out soon which Mike asked me to do for his website, so stay tuned!! If your really interested just contact Mike and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to sort you out!

SimonA

Simon,
Usually Mike is at Yandles Sow-hope he has some on board. Maybe I'll give him a call Tuesday.
Cheers
Philly :D

Hey Philly.....your right Mike is usually at the show but I don't know if he'll have any T&T there. I think hes waiting to see if he gets many inquires after the review is posted, but the more people who are interested the quicker he'll make up his mind!! I'm convinced!! :lol:

SimonA

Well heres the update I promised you peeps!

Finished04.jpg

Here is a shot of the finished top. Its only had couple of coats of Varnish oil at the mo but I'm going to put on another couple so the sheen should build up a little more.

Finished03.jpg

Another shot of the top. You'll have to excuse the covers on the new leather seats, but I'm trying to keep them clean of finger prints from the kids! :?

Finished02.jpg

Heres a close up of the bread board ends. You can see the 3/8" dowels the I used to peg the tops with.

Finished01.jpg

An end shot of the base of the finished table....here you can see the thickness of the table top.

DSCF0004.jpg

This is a pic I took late the other night but it shows the quarter sawn grain in the oak.

I've just added a few more pics with the covers off the seats......it gives a better imperssion of what its like.

Finished07.jpg

Finished06.jpg

Finished05.jpg

SimonA

Simon,
It looks absolutely super!! I love the clean look of the oak and the rays look great. Many congratulations - you can be really proud of it.

Have you pegged the breadboard end through slots - at least in the outer two pegs - to allow for expansion/contraction of the top?

I wonder how did you join the top? I take it that the vee grooves are decorative? They certainly match the ends beautifully. The finish looks very nice too. I'll be interested in your report on it.

Cheers for the kind words Chris....I have put wider holes on the outer two pegs to allow for the expansion :D

SimonA

Latest posts

Back