New oak table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simply beautiful, I love Oak, I love your design, you have done a great job. Nice finish, highlighting the natural Oak grain.

:D :D :D

Well I have to thank you all for all your wonderful comments :D I'm so pleased with the way that the table has turned out and the encouragement that everbody has given me that I'm going to make a large mirror to match.

I'll try and take more pics of the construction this time to show everybody as I feel these are better than just showing the final thing :wink:

I should hopefully be ordering the timber sometime this week, fingers crossed :)

SimonA

Stunning. All I need now is to copy all those pictures, as I have plans to make something similar, and that's just what I had in mind. :lol:

Adam

That's a really lovely table - beautiful design and perfectly executed. And it's exactly what we need in our dining room!
Cheers
Gidon

Adam.....I can give you the drawings if you wish to use them....nothing special really just a top, side, and end view with some dims.

Gidon.....I will take comissions if your interested :D I priced the same size table up from a few different places and the average was about £1500, but seeing as your a friend I'll do it for half that! Bargin!

Cheers to everybody else on their kind words. I'll post the pics of the mirror I'll be making when I get started, just waiting for the timber to arrive!

SimonA

Offcut.....I have a small review of the finishes coming out soon, so if you can just hold on a few more days that would be great!

As for the joining of the top: I planed the timber all round and then layed out the boards for the best display of the quarter sawn rays and marked them up. From there I ran all the joining edges over the planer again just taking off a tiny, tiny amount to give a really smooth finish. I then tuned up my #7 with a tiny mouth and ran this over the edges to flatten out any ripples left by the planer. You could probably get away with out doing that last step really, as long as your planer blades are really sharp. I then marked up placements for some biscuits, about 3-4 to a 6' length. I used these just to help align the surfaces for each of the boards and not for any real extra strength. I don't even add glue to them either as they are a real pipper to clamp up on somthing this size when wet! Add some glue to the oak, making sure to cover all the mating surfaces and then clamp up and get three other people to give you a hand lifting the thing!!

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

SimonA

Back