New Oak flooring treatments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rallymantony

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning everyone
New to the forum, can't believe I haven't found it before!
Just after some advice. I've bought some solid Oak flooring direct from a sawmill which has been kiln dried, planned and grooved and is basically ready to go down, my question is, should I treat it with anything prior to it being laid? It's had no treatment so far and originally I was going to oil it after being laid. The sub floor is 22mm (or could be 25mm can't remember now) T&G moisture resistant chipboard on a suspended floor. Also, what are peoples opinions on floor oil Vs lacquers etc?
Thank you in advance
Tony

Hi Tony, and welcome. I would suggest if you are going to stain it you do that before putting it down and extend the stain right across the top surface of the tongue so that when it shrinks which unfortunately it will a bit, you won’t be left with pale looking bits down in the groove.
I would just mention my preference is water-based satin polyurethane floor varnish, I used Johnstons eight ? Years ago and not a mark on it still. Good luck with it Ian
Edit, A paint pad about 200 x 90 mil is a useful thing for finishing floors.

Hi Tony, and welcome. I would suggest if you are going to stain it you do that before putting it down and extend the stain right across the top surface of the tongue so that when it shrinks which unfortunately it will a bit, you won’t be left with pale looking bits down in the groove.
I would just mention my preference is water-based satin polyurethane floor varnish, I used Johnstons eight ? Years ago and not a mark on it still. Good luck with it Ian
Edit, A paint pad about 200 x 90 mil is a useful thing for finishing floors.
Thanks so much Ian, I really appreciate you taking the time. Very good point about the shrinkage, I hadn't considered that...
Thanks again
Tony

Back