New music

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Be Good Tanyas are something I like to listen to now and then.

Disturbed's version of Sound of Silence has to be one of the best covers ever.

Kev I have seen the Dead South too...... :)

Pete

Although I'm in my dotage and sixties biased, my tastes are eclectic and when I first heard David Draimon singing Sounds of Silence I cannot but fail to agree that it's the best cover and his voice is exceedingly good. In fact, Paul Simon when he first heard it on the Late Show said it was the best version of his song ever, including his! High praise.

Hello darkness my old friend ..................... I remember one night in Jan. 2014 at 3am, well past the safe limit for morphine hearing S&G and bursting into tears, afraid to go to bed because the pain would really kick as soon as I lay down. It brings it all back.

Joe Satriani blues.

Hmmmm.... now what to do with joe? Theres a few extremely good technical guitarists who are super quick, but have no feeling..... thats what i get from joe. Maybe its the speed, you cant get that finger / touch feeling through the notes?
Zakk wylde plays with feeling and a lot of blues guitarists are packed with it.
I dislike eric gayles 'steep climb' , feels like a close hendrix copy......

Hmmmm.... now what to do with joe? Theres a few extremely good technical guitarists who are super quick, but have no feeling..... thats what i get from joe. Maybe its the speed, you cant get that finger / touch feeling through the notes?
Zakk wylde plays with feeling and a lot of blues guitarists are packed with it.
I dislike eric gayles 'steep climb' , feels like a close hendrix copy......

If you want "feeling" click this link, that track has brought people to tears.
https://soundclick.com/r/s1y9qu

I am always looking for "new music", so this thread is a delight. Thank you everyone. My new enthusiasm is prog metal, and I have good things to report on Porcupine Tree tree and Scale The Summit.

I have also discovered Kyuss, who then morphed into Queens of the Stone Age - a bit more psychedelic rock than prog, but who doesn't like reinvented Hawkwind?

I like a bit of nearly-prog - if you've not heard them the The Ocean are worth a go, as are Oceansize (no relation), and maybe Kardashev (though they have some very cookie-monster moments).

I like a bit of nearly-prog - if you've not heard them the The Ocean are worth a go, as are Oceansize (no relation), and maybe Kardashev (though they have some very cookie-monster moments).

How old are you sporky?
Im 40, used to listen to nine inch nails, lamb of god, sepultura etc when i was a LOT younger 😆
Im definitely mellowing out, i generally reach for blues at the mo 🤔

47. When I was a lot younger it was noisy indie, goth, and shoegaze. I got into heavier as I got older, though The God Machine was my gateway drug...

I do still like music without shouting in it!

Not a new artist but a new album- John Mayer's Sob Rock, very 80s themed and it's fun to play spot the guitarist impressions. He can mimic a lot of styles. Another good one is from the Zac Brown Band 'Old love song' just to see how many song titles they shoehorned in.

Not a new artist but a new album- John Mayer's Sob Rock, very 80s themed and it's fun to play spot the guitarist impressions. He can mimic a lot of styles. Another good one is from the Zac Brown Band 'Old love song' just to see how many song titles they shoehorned in.
If you like good guitar players try the Bros. Landreth, Let it Lie is a good starter album. Also Jason Isbell is a favourite at present, his album Southeastern is a good example of his abilities as a singer/songwriter/guitar player

Well thats my weekends youtube sessions sorted then, i will give all these recommendations a go.

For Trainee neophyte, loved Porcupine Tree since i heard The sky moved sideways album back in 1989, this and
lightbulb sun are for me their best albums and for tracks i would go for stars die and waiting.
Hawkwind since the late 70's got 25 of their albums.

Back