New motor for my table saw project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaktree11

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, in another thread I have been talking about my purchase of an old table saw, sold into the Canadian market in the 90’s. It has a 60hz motor ( plate below). It is a simple machine with plenty of room for modification if necessary. The arbour speed wants to end up as 1450 rpm. It’s a 2hp motor and I would like to replace it with a 50hz equivalent. Does anyone know where I could source a suitable, reasonably priced (new or s/h) motor. Any help/advice welcome.
John

Attachments

• 84E95272-1BA3-49C7-BFF3-2C60146B6C92.jpeg
    84E95272-1BA3-49C7-BFF3-2C60146B6C92.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 33
  • F104B4E4-97D3-4ED9-BFAF-D92EBA154E4D.jpeg
    F104B4E4-97D3-4ED9-BFAF-D92EBA154E4D.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 612C410E-C20C-478C-AB03-CB186F63E599.jpeg
    612C410E-C20C-478C-AB03-CB186F63E599.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 24
first I stand to be corrected but I think ur motor will be OK on UK elec.....50htz.....
I've imported American stuff and never bothered to replace any motors.....
the other worry is the switch gear......
If your gonna keep the machine I would personally buy a new motor and the switch box (dole starter, ??)
that way everything is a matched pair.....
Most motors now are made in Italy of China.........had from both countries with no probs.....
best to make sure of the mounting hole dimensions for ease of fitting.....
plus the shaft size...modern motors will be Metric now....it's a small job to open up the old pulley or just buy a new one.....
ebay and facebook are the best places for new and used motors.....
to be frank, most used motors are overpriced but u will get an old school Brit made one....
like a Brooks and others....

first I stand to be corrected but I think ur motor will be OK on UK elec.....50htz.....
I've imported American stuff and never bothered to replace any motors.....
the other worry is the switch gear......
If your gonna keep the machine I would personally buy a new motor and the switch box (dole starter, ??)
that way everything is a matched pair.....
Most motors now are made in Italy of China.........had from both countries with no probs.....
best to make sure of the mounting hole dimensions for ease of fitting.....
plus the shaft size...modern motors will be Metric now....it's a small job to open up the old pulley or just buy a new one.....
ebay and facebook are the best places for new and used motors.....
to be frank, most used motors are overpriced but u will get an old school Brit made one....
like a Brooks and others....
Thanks Clogs. Yes it will work ok, running slower but this saw is a keeper so I want to start off right and the motor is the fundamental part. Thanks for the help. John

I was about to suggest a way to keep the existing motor, but having read the nameplate's "sepious electrial shocks" I suspect it's of dubious origins.
I have a high quality 3 phase Italian motor of similar rating if you're up for running from an invertor: this will give you nice soft starting and electronic braking, plus variable speed if you change blade sizes. We're in driving distance.

Attachments

• 2.5HP motor.jpg
    2.5HP motor.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 8
I was about to suggest a way to keep the existing motor, but having read the nameplate's "sepious electrial shocks" I suspect it's of dubious origins.
I have a high quality 3 phase Italian motor of similar rating if you're up for running from an invertor: this will give you nice soft starting and electronic braking, plus variable speed if you change blade sizes. We're in driving distance.
Hi Johnbs, thank you very much. Tbh I hadn’t noticed that mistake on the plate! i think Rexon were/are? A reputable make. The motor looks pretty well made, not that you can see much!
I may well be interested in your motor. I have a 3ph Startrite 352 running with an inverter and the benefits are certainly worth having.
i actually got the motor connected and running today and it starts and runs fine (using my 16A feed). The way it mounts seems a bit iffy to me and seems only to use the motor’s (considerable) weight to tension the belt. Nothing overtly wrong with that I suppose but it’s not fixed and positive.
Could you send me some more pics of your motor? Pm me of [email protected]
thanks
john

It's a standard two pole motor, and is ok to run on 50 Hz - it will just run a little slower ( By 5/6 ) i.e 2800 rpm. And that's fine.
There is no need to replace the motor or starter - just as long as it is wired for 230 V
Great machine, keep it original and save money

dont worry about locking motor adjustment.....I have it on my Colchester Student lathe.....
must done have hundreds of hours with it....
the lifting of the motor a little is my clutch.....my lathe did not have one from the factory...
just let it hang in there....lol....
IMG_2166.JPG

Back