New Motherboard not recognising all Pen Drives.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
A strange PC problem that's reared it's head.

I use pen drives quite a lot, for acrobat files, and the longer word projects i have on the go. I also have two Verbatim Terrabyte drives. (Or is that tetrabyte?) I use these for storage large files and my photographs.

I just had to change the motherboard in my desktop PC and initially all was fine. Then suddenly the machine refused to recognise some of my pen drives, and none of my externals and scanner. I get the sound when I plug tem in but the PC doesn't show all of them. Thus I can't access them. All these drives work fine on my laptop, so I don't suspect the drives.

There is also a lag between using the backspace and delete keys, before anything happens, in Firefox. This is occasional.

I am working without an 'A' drive at the moment, but can't see how that would affect things as initially there was no probnlem.

Because of no 'A' drive, I was unable to copy the SATA drivers from the new Motherboard disc, and had to do the install onto an IDE hard drive. This was going to enable me to transfer the files, to 'A' drive, but until I get a new floppy-drive I am stuck with using the IDE as a Master Drive.

I suspect the Windows set-up has been corrupted, and wonder if this problem will go away when I reinstall Window XP on a new SATA drive?

Anti-Virus says there are no viruses or other problems.

Any ideas anyone please?
Thanks in anticipation.

John :)

You should be able to check and download all the latest drivers on line without too many problems

Thanks for the repilies folks.
My problems started with the new motherboard. There was no floppy supplied with the board thus no drivers, to enable XP installation on a SATA drive. My old board drivers were no use.) For this reason I had to use an old IDE drive for the installation. It was ok, but a bit slow.
Consquently, my Son found a program online that allowed SATA installation without a floppy disc being required.
Someohow though the new SATA drive is drive 'F' and not drive 'C'. It works okay as a Master drive mind.

Then I recalled that I had once signed up to'driveragent.com', so I signed in, and was able to access my log of downloads. I downloaded the drivers onto the laptop, tranferred to the desktop and "Robert's your Mother's brother"! Worked just like that!

So up and running, although I still can't read the floppy drive, for some strange reason. I think a USB outboartd floppy might help me get the files I need off the floppies and then I can forget about 'A' drive!

Thanks again folks
Much appreciated.

John :D

studders":3gi8gmfi said:
Benchwayze":3gi8gmfi said:
Any ideas anyone please?
Thanks in anticipation.

John :)

Yes John, ditch windows and use Ubuntu. :)

I see your point Studders, but at the moment I am just a bit sick of installing this, that and the other!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll bear it in mind though.
Cheers

John :ho2

Benchwayze":19r0y3ui said:
at the moment I am just a bit sick of installing this, that and the other!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll bear it in mind though.
Cheers

John :ho2
That's the best bit I've found since using Ubuntu, I can't think of any hardware that I've connected that needed me to provide any drivers, they just work.
It's not the be all and end all, it's not perfect, but after my Mac blew up and I was forced to go back to a PC, I've found the transition a lot less painful after ditching windows after a matter of a few weeks use.
Best of all is the huge amount of high quality software that is usually completely free.

Back