New Mistery Veritas Stuff: Custom Bevel Down Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am always surprised when people complain about having too many choices in quality products...

Yes many of us already have an arsenal of tools and do not require anything new, but that doesn't mean EVERYONE is in that same position. If I was starting to acquire new tools today, these would probably be on my list to research, and having more quality choices is great!

bobbybirds":38x29mlm said:
I am always surprised when people complain about having too many choices in quality products...

Yes many of us already have an arsenal of tools and do not require anything new, but that doesn't mean EVERYONE is in that same position. If I was starting to acquire new tools today, these would probably be on my list to research, and having more quality choices is great!

(insert "with all due respect" smiley)

I think you are confusing "complaining" with "having an opinion about".

They are two different things entirely and although I thoroughly support any enterprise which encourages the use of hand tools and the perpetuation of the craft.....I think these are both lacking in style and not something a person starting out would need.

It would be difficult enough getting experience at planing let alone learning the finer arts of pitch adjustment.

I hope they sell well...time will tell. Well done Veritas for innovation....yet again. They make a great tool rest! :wink:

(that's Veritas not the new planes....I hope! Where is Freud when you need him!)

Jimi

Has anybody seen anything to the effect of whether the angled totes can be bought separately for retro-fitting to existing Veritas planes? (Assuming that they have the same bolt arrangement.)

Now there's an idea - a steam-powered hand plane.

It could use the rotary cutter block from an electric hand-plane, powered by a small, onboard steam engine. If the boiler for it was cleverly designed, it could even be arranged to burn it's own shavings.

Await Lee Valley's next April offering.....

Couldn't find a steam plane but I'm sure there will be one out there somewhere.
I'd quite like this chap's kit - laser powered for marking out and measuring. You can see where Veritas get their ideas!

building-a-cool-steampunk-blunderbuss-rifle-2.jpg

It will be interesting to see how these are sold internationally.
It seems at the moment to be a case of ordering a specific configuration. Will these have to be ordered from Canada and then shipped internationally ? or will local distributors hold stocks of parts to assemble in each territory ?

Rhossydd asked the following questions

Rhossydd":3cam7wuo said:
It will be interesting to see how these are sold internationally.
It seems at the moment to be a case of ordering a specific configuration. Will these have to be ordered from Canada and then shipped internationally ? or will local distributors hold stocks of parts to assemble in each territory ?

I have read on other forums that in North America the planes are ordered online. If the plane includes a custom frog angle it is machined in Ottawa to order and available to be shipped within a day or two. I don't know how they could use distributors for the custom angle frogs. If there is a way to get these planes to customers in Great Britain and Europe, I'm sure Rob Lee will find it. A minor gloat for me is that I have a Lee Valley store a half an hour away from me and can go kick the tires on these planes any time I want (as long as it isn't a Sunday). Lee Valley stores have never been open on Sundays.

Rick in Oakville Canada":1kdsz73l said:
If the plane includes a custom frog angle it is machined in Ottawa to order and available to be shipped within a day or two.
Certainly if an plane has a 'machined to order' part, I'd assume it will have to be ordered direct from Canada.
I'm more curious about the other configurations that are assembled from off the shelf parts. Will there be a store(s) that have the set of option parts in store to assemble the different planes that don't need custom machined frogs ?

Rhossydd":12pt0kbr said:
I'm more curious about the other configurations that are assembled from off the shelf parts. Will there be a store(s) that have the set of option parts in store to assemble the different planes that don't need custom machined frogs ?

Phone Axminster they are the distributors, but no doubt like the Veritas PMV11 chisels they won't supply other tool stores so they will only be available through their stores at the price they want to set.

jimi43":2h32t0st said:
I think you are confusing "complaining" with "having an opinion about".

Jimi

Hello,

When does having an opinion become complaining, though? Having an 'opinion' on something in the negative, when no first hand experience of that thing could possibly have been had, though in concept that thing has all the characteristics found to be good in the things we do know about, IS definitely a complete definition of complaining! We could try optimism and enthusiasm, instead. :D

Mike.

Doug B":3scm199l said:
Phone Axminster they are the distributors, but no doubt like the Veritas PMV11 chisels they won't supply other tool stores so they will only be available through their stores at the price they want to set.
Veritas is also available from http://www.canadiantools.co.uk/ at lower prices than Axminster too.

Rhossydd":2i13aulm said:
Doug B":2i13aulm said:
Veritas is also available from http://www.canadiantools.co.uk/ at lower prices than Axminster too.

Doesn't look like they stock the PMV 11 chisels either :?:

Back