New Mirror

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonA

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy peeps......most of you will have probably seen my dining room table that was posted here a while ago. I said then that I was going to make a mirror to match and I just thought that I'd show you how the was project was moving along.

Mirror01.jpg

Heres a shot of the overall thing......Sorry about the table cloth, but I just wanted to put something on the table so you could actually see the mirror.
Its also a nice little reminder that it actually once was a tree!

Mirror02.jpg

A close up of a really nice defect in the timber....I try to keep these things in the furniture I make because I think it all adds to the character of the piece.

Mirror03.jpg

A close up of one end......

Mirror04.jpg

And last but not least a close up of one the mitres.......I've just got these fixed together with biscuits at the moment and no glue. Still playing around with the look and feel of the whole mirror, plus I'm still trying to get all the mitres dead right!

Cheers.

Simon

ummmmm sweet oak, lovely job Simon :D

I was just about to finally order my planer from axminster last week (CT150) when I discovered they now want £100 to deliver to me!!!!! :shock: :( It looks like I won't be planing oak for yet another while.

Looks good to me, and I like the use of the knots and defects in the wood.

What are the extra-long pieces at the sides? They seem very precisely machined, but don't appear to serve any purpose that I can see.

Pete (hoping it isn't obvious to everyone except me :))

CYC....sorry to hear that you'll not be getting your planer :( major bummer!

Pete W..."the extra long pieces down the side" are all just part and parcel of the Mission style furniture.......

SimonA

Now, Simon, I thought you were a mate. But surely no true friend would keep willfully and deliberately completing projects like this. :roll: Lookin' good though. :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi Simon,
Looking very good. I made a simple Oak framed mirror for our lounge - and at the moment am making lots of tulipwood picture frames. More fiddly with thinner wood and smaller frames I've found.
If you're not already doing it I would consider making or using your mitre shooting board for perfect mitres. It makes all the difference as I found out yesterday funnily enough! No amount of tuning of your table saw will give you the results this method gives. And shoot both opposing sides at the same time (stuck together with double sided tape) otherwise you'll be puzzled why the mitres still aren't tight (speaking from personal experience :oops:).
Cheers
Gidon

Sorry Alf...... I forgot the code amongst woodworks....."must not complete project, must not complete project, must not complete project....must start new project!"

But I have to say that I'm really getting into this woodworking lark....I seem to have found a new confidence in my furniture building and have loads of new ideas for things that I want to build.

Was their talk of UKWorkshop having another competition? Been thinking of entering into the WoodCentral comp....I fancy that new 1/2" Festool router!! :lol:

SimonA

Simon, you are right to fancy the new 1/2" Festool router, it's a beauty 8)

It turns out I just found a way to get the CT150. A local supplier is by chance driving to England tomorrow :wink: this is my lucky day after all 8) 8)
Now I need to figure out what I'll build in oak first :roll: I suspect my wife will have some ideas already lined up.

Looking good Simon (no pun intended),
even if you are putting me to shame :roll:

TX

PS Would you save on heating costs if you used
a double glazed unit? :lol:

CYC said:
ummmmm sweet oak, lovely job Simon :D

I was just about to finally order my planer from axminster last week (CT150) when I discovered they now want £100 to deliver to me!!!!! :shock: :( It looks like I won't be planing oak for yet another while.

I have been saving my pocket money for years to buy this (CT150) but Axminster's price increases are always ahead of my saving rate.
Last Saturday I bought the SIP 6 inch and am well pleased so far.

Back