New MFT 'square' from Benchdogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the reduced height fence is 10mm high if my memory serves.....I was looking at the BenchDogs fence system just the other day.

Edit.
You think 6mm Peter...?
I must have misread the specification!

Edit 2.
I did misread the spec,.....its actually 9mm high. I just checked.
The fence extension is 9mm high, the plate the hinge sits on is 6mm. You can use the hinge without the fence extension, but not the plate! 👍

<grin/> you and your 'wall' issues! How about cutting a hole in the MFT in which to sit the hinge? Still need
to deal with the 'tail' on the wall side?
... I won't suggest a hole in the wall ;-)
😂 It's not like I'm the only person with an MFT against a wall, though! As I understand it the Benchdogs hinge will work with a regular MFT - you'd need to drill the holes for the quad connectors, but there's a template for that. And there has to be a certain amount of rail overhang - deepest part of the cut is at the blade centre, so anything forward of that on the saw will need rail underneath it; can't say for sure, but my guess would be that the minimum you can get away with would be the same as the Festool OEM hinge - around 110mm.

😂 It's not like I'm the only person with an MFT against a wall, though! As I understand it the Benchdogs hinge will work with a regular MFT - you'd need to drill the holes for the quad connectors, but there's a template for that. And there has to be a certain amount of rail overhang - deepest part of the cut is at the blade centre, so anything forward of that on the saw will need rail underneath it; can't say for sure, but my guess would be that the minimum you can get away with would be the same as the Festool OEM hinge - around 110mm.
Ever considered putting the hinge and rail around the otherway? So that it hinges on the front edge. I don't have any MFT so don't know if it is even possible but it would let you get right to the wall with the saw

Last edited:
The Dashboard hinge set I have will hold the rail upright with no problem, and I’d be astounded if the benchdogs set didn’t also do this - it’s a fundamental requirement, IMHO.

I realize I was not accurate in describing my shop situation. The Dash-Board hinge will hold the rail upright as long as the ceiling height is sufficient for the rail being used. My shop ceiling is too low to allow the FS 1400/2 rail to be raised more than about 45 degrees before the free end of the rail touches the ceiling.

Ever considered putting the hinge and rail around the otherway? So that it hinges on the front edge. I don't have any MFT so don't know if it is even possible but it would let you get right to the wall with the saw
The huge benefit of a hinged rail is that you just lift it up and you get your bench back; if it was hinged at the front - and yes, Ï think it would be possible, with some work - the rail would be up in the air at the front of the bench, so smack in the way. And as mentioned above, you still need ~110mm of overhang beyond the fence, so you’ll never truly get the saw right to the wall. 👍

edited for typos

Last edited:
Good morning all. Some interesting questions here and I’ll do my best to clear these up for you.

1. Does the rail hold its self up. Yes this will. I was hoping the thumbscrews that were being used would have arrived in time for the video but unfortunately delivery services sometimes let people down. So we used a few dogs which interfered with the height adjust.

2. minimum height. The plate that sit on the mft is 6mm but to if you use our fence then the under rail is 9mm. 7.9mm if you have the MK2.1. If you do not use our fence and you need to sit flush there is a solution to router down 6mm into the top for the plate to sit flush. We have made this so this would not interfere with the first set of holes so effectively wouldn’t cause a problem with the use of the 20mm grid

3. Space behind the MFT. At present it’s 185mm we are working on reducing this but there has to be some wasted space for any hinge system to work but depending on how big your table is the top
Plate could be reversed so the over hang can be minimal but this would intrude in your available space on the mft top.

4. Pre set heights. The first pre set is at 9mm but can go down to 6mm if not using our fence system. You would need access to the back and front to set this it’s also not required to use as you can also rest on the material to set the height like the others on the market. We thought it would be a good feature to add as we could.

5. Music. Yes that was my bad and apologies for this. Not being a person that creates lots of videos where I’m speaking and only jumping out of planes where I do use music. This was my error, it won’t happen again. I’ve also invested in some mics to help with the speech quality. We have plans of setting up a demo workshop for instructions videos but please bear with us on that.

hope this help clears up some questions but please let me know if you have any others and I can help clear them up.
Ralph.

Appreciate the update and clarity, Ralph - that relating to the space required behind the MFT was something I was keen to understand as at present I use this as some pocket storage for dogs, etc and can readily adapt this to accommodate the hinge by the sounds of it.
The alternative could have been pulling the MFT away from the wall and setting the front out of alignment with the run of remaining benches which could cause me OCD palpitations 🤯😉.
Looking forward to viewing any videos from those who got in quickly for the pre-orders!

The huge benefit of a hinged rail is that you just lift it up and you get your bench back; if it was hinged at the front - and yes, Ï think it would be possible, with some work - the rail would be up in the air at the front of the bench, so smack in the way. And as mentioned above, you still need ~110mm of overhang beyond the fence, so you’ll never truly get the saw right to the wall. 👍

edited for typos
See, it is the wall in the way, not the track hinge!
;-)

Ah...I reckon that those socks are so expensive that it would take at least 3 Kashmir goats to make them...providing they can knit of course :)

I am looking forward to Peter's video (and Andy Guile's as well - if he is reading this) as they both always explain things clearly and without pulling their punches. And I don't care what socks they wear- but no muzak please!

However, on another different note I think it is nice to see a British Company being innovative like this and not off-shoring production (ditto FC Tools). And also nice to see Ralph come on here to reply to comments.

I am looking forward to Peter's video (and Andy Guile's as well - if he is reading this) as they both always explain things clearly and without pulling their punches. And I don't care what socks they wear- but no muzak please!

However, on another different note I think it is nice to see a British Company being innovative like this and not off-shoring production (ditto FC Tools). And also nice to see Ralph come on here to reply to comments.
Just to set the record straight fctools products are made total in glasgow Scotland from a local engineering company pascoe engineering. And the rails I use come from Ralph at Benchdogs. Just so u now now the true facts ok

I read niemeyjt's comment as recommending FC tools as another company that doesn't off-shore production - it seems everyone is on the same page :)

it seems everyone is on the same page
Depends how you read it, " I think it is nice to see a British Company being innovative like this and not off-shoring production (ditto FC Tools)."

To many it will read as two parts and not singular, "and not off shoring production " is saying xxxxx is off shoring production. Had it been singular then easy read, make everyone inclusive under one sentence. Anyway both Benchdogs and FC tools are a great asset to woodworking even though it impacts our pockets.

Depends how you read it, " I think it is nice to see a British Company being innovative like this and not off-shoring production (ditto FC Tools)."

To many it will read as two parts and not singular, "and not off shoring production " is saying xxxxx is off shoring production. Had it been singular then easy read, make everyone inclusive under one sentence. Anyway both Benchdogs and FC tools are a great asset to woodworking even though it impacts our pockets.
Really?!? Ditto means same thing again. I can’t see how it can be read as not the same.

Simple, you have a statement then followed by "and " which closes off that first part. The " not off-shoring production " is basically saying importing and then ditto Fc Tools is part of that which comes across as an example of somebody who is importing.

Could just be an age thing, language was taught very different years ago in the days of fountain pens and I did spend time as a technical author in a regulated industry.

Simple, you have a statement then followed by "and " which closes off that first part. The " not off-shoring production " is basically saying importing and then ditto Fc Tools is part of that which comes across as an example of somebody who is importing.

Could just be an age thing, language was taught very different years ago in the days of fountain pens and I did spend time as a technical author in a regulated industry.

Oh what a wonderful (tortuous) thing is this language of mine!
Who reads wot they've writ these days @Spectric?

Latest posts

Back