UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Holtham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have watched the forum rather furtively over recent months and felt it was about time I "came out" as a guest member. I have been particularly interested by the various threads on the quality of UK Woodworking magazines and have often felt that your comments are perhaps a little unfair bearing in mind that most of you are obviously professionals or very dedicated amateurs with a skill level far in excess of that catered for by the majority of mags.

Anyway I don't want to stir up what has obviously been something of a hornets nest, but I am watching!! (Help is at Hand Andy K :wink: !)

All the best to you all, keep up the good work, I look forward to being an official member of the Forum.

Alan

Alan Holtham":39a47it8 said:
I have watched the forum rather furtively over recent months and felt it was about time I "came out" as a guest member.
Yikes. We've got more lurkers in the woodwork than woodworm! Welcome to the forum, Alan, and congrats on "coming out" :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S.
most of you are obviously professionals or very dedicated amateurs with a skill level far in excess of that catered for by the majority of mags
Flattery like that'll get you everywhere... :lol:

Hi Alan,

Glad to see you've finally come out of the closet........
And, in my view, the more the merrier. Look forward to your contributions.

Rgds

Noel

Alan Holtham":17z288kv said:
]most of you are obviously professionals or very dedicated amateurs with a skill level far in excess of that catered for by the majority of mags

Christ chaps (and chappettes) isn't Chris rocking chair in this months magazine? Yeah, we can all knock them out two-a-penny :shock: not.

Might as well pack me bags, and get all me stuff on ebay if thats the case!

Adam

That's it. I've had enough of all these media types and am going on holiday! :lol:

asleitch":rqyobkyj said:
Alan Holtham":rqyobkyj said:
]most of you are obviously professionals or very dedicated amateurs with a skill level far in excess of that catered for by the majority of mags

Christ chaps (and chappettes) isn't Chris rocking chair in this months magazine? Yeah, we can all knock them out two-a-penny :shock: not.

Adam

OOps I seem to have got of to an unfortunate start within minutes! My comment was meant to be :wink:

Alan

Alan Holtham":3pjhc2mm said:
asleitch":3pjhc2mm said:
Alan Holtham":3pjhc2mm said:

Adam

OOps I seem to have got of to an unfortunate start within minutes! My comment was meant to be :wink:

Alan

It's exactly projects like Chris's I'd like to see more of, but I do understand their is a limited market of people who it would appeal to!

Got to agree with you Adam and granted, the more complicated and technical articles may not appeal to everybody but I have often read features and projects that, on an overall basis, I have no interest in but still expanded my limited knowledge by learning a particular technique. Take Chris's chair for example - I have no plans to build one in the near future but I am interested in the laminating part. A futher bonus is that as my interests and abilities change you can always revisit an article sometime in the future and gain further insight from an article that initially proved uninteresting.

Rgds

Noel, hoping that the above makes sense.....

andy king":2el0ny44 said:
That's it. I've had enough of all these media types and am going on holiday!

Wot's a holiday? :shock:
Hopefully, a holiday is the time away from work when you can get away from it all and soak up some sun. If you REALLY want a holiday, send the family away to give you a real break so you can spend more time woodworking without getting nagged to - finish the cupboard she asked for or 'stop trailing sawdust everywhere'. The family come back having enjoyed themselves without you and you have finished 10 times the normal amout of pieces because you weren't constantly interupted. :wink:

Welcome Alan. Nice to see a forum newbie who we can put a face to (mags & TV). :twisted: :p

Dewy":vnfa651z said:
Welcome Alan. Nice to see a forum newbie who we can put a face to (mags & TV). :twisted: :p

When I first started reading the woodworking mags, I kept on confusing Andy K. with Alan H. :? Strange isn't it when one is so obviously better looking than the other. :twisted:

Edited yet again 'cos I can't get that blasted quote to work. :x

I kept on confusing Andy K. with Alan H. Strange isn't it when one is so obviously better looking than the other.

well I have been told I have dashing looks, unfortunately the majority dashing off to the toilet to be sick after they've seen me...... :shock:

cheers,

Andy

Taffy Turner":5cnuj7gx said:
Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum. I always enjoy reading your articles in the turning mags - I particularly like the way that you own up to any cock-ups that occur - it gives hope to us mere mortals! :D

Any chance that you could offer an opinion on my problems with my CL4 (see https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1679 for details).

Thanks

Gary

Thanks for the welcome folks, I shall try to be as PC as possible with my PC!

Gary, as regards your problem with the CL4 I can iondeed shed some light on it as I had exactly the same problem and after several changes of headstock decided that it was the consumer unit that was the problem rather than the lathe. I must add that i have very little electrical knowledge and cannot give you technical details, but apparently standared RCD.s have a domestic rating that cannot cope with the demands of the inverter. As someone else has suggested it is not safe to just upgrade to a higher mamp trip, this jeopordises everything else on the ring. The answer is to fit an industrial rated trip in the consumer unit, i think it is called something like a D rating, but no doubt someone else will correct me. This is a simple change over, they just slot in place and it certainly worked for me.

Now I'll just sit back and see what the proper electricians among you say!!

Wot's a holiday?

In my case it's going to be as far away from magazines, woodworking and - yes, I'll say it - Forums as I can get.

Friday morning it's load up the trusty new camper van (no jokes about rust please - it's new, it's bright red and it's my pride and joy!) and head off for the ferry and the open road. In this case 4000 miles of Italian back roads, driving right down to the far south of the country and back again. After which I'll probably need to get back to work for a holiday! And no, absolutely no, intention of looking at furniture in shop windows or tools in shops, in case you're wondering.

Now that's a holiday :D

(Mind you, I will be taking a few tools cos I've only just finished converting the van and fitting loads of custom furniture and I'm not sure whether it's all functioning ok yet...)

Back