UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete Martin":32xaix2n said:
(Mind you, I will be taking a few tools cos I've only just finished converting the van and fitting loads of custom furniture and I'm not sure whether it's all functioning ok yet...)
Uh-oh... :roll:

CL4 RCD.s have a domestic rating that cannot cope with the demands of the inverter. As someone else has suggested it is not safe to just upgrade to a higher mamp trip, this jeopordises everything else on the ring. The answer is to fit an industrial rated trip in the consumer unit, i think it is called something like a D rating, but no doubt someone else will correct me.

That's probably a type C MCB, slower to "blow", so better for difficult loads

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... 3Duk.d-i-y

If I recall correctly, we used to call type C MCBs 'motor rated' i.e. they do not trip on surges or startup currents

pete dont forget to drive on the right side of the road :D and have you made space to bring back a little vino, red will go well with the van .

Alan Holtham":3rve6dvu said:
Taffy Turner":3rve6dvu said:
Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum. I always enjoy reading your articles in the turning mags - I particularly like the way that you own up to any cock-ups that occur - it gives hope to us mere mortals! :D

Any chance that you could offer an opinion on my problems with my CL4 (see https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1679 for details).

Thanks

Gary

Thanks for the welcome folks, I shall try to be as PC as possible with my PC!

Gary, as regards your problem with the CL4 I can iondeed shed some light on it as I had exactly the same problem and after several changes of headstock decided that it was the consumer unit that was the problem rather than the lathe. I must add that i have very little electrical knowledge and cannot give you technical details, but apparently standared RCD.s have a domestic rating that cannot cope with the demands of the inverter. As someone else has suggested it is not safe to just upgrade to a higher mamp trip, this jeopordises everything else on the ring. The answer is to fit an industrial rated trip in the consumer unit, i think it is called something like a D rating, but no doubt someone else will correct me. This is a simple change over, they just slot in place and it certainly worked for me.

Now I'll just sit back and see what the proper electricians among you say!!

Alan, thanks very much for the advice. A lot of people on this forum have been very helpful as regards sorting out this problem, but it is nice to get an opinion from someone who has actually suffered the same problem with the same bit of kit. I will try replacing the RCD with a D rated one and see how it goes from there.

Thanks
Gary

Hi Alan

Welcome to the forum. It's really good to have you onboard.

I've really enjoyed your "How do they do that" series and also I have to admit to having watched you in John's workshop.

I must admit I remember you saying that your workshop has central heating and possibly being just a little bit jealous. :oops:

All the best.
Neil

I've really enjoyed your "How do they do that" series and also I have to admit to having watched you in John's workshop

See you chaps do read other mags than GWW (sorry Andy :wink: )

'How do they do that' is coming to an end shortly, at number 50, you'll have to work anything else out for yourself!! But I am doing a bit more TV stuff soon which is always great fun.

Now I know what you all do at lunchtimes, catch up on the forums!!
:)
Cheers

Back