New member with a simple question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siglazier

Reaction score
This pine board, what's the cut called that results in this grain pattern? Is it Quartersawn?

thanks
2021-07-26_18-50-40_828.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't look like ordinary "pine" i.e. Scots Pine a.k.a. "redwood" in UK, but could be one of the 100s of other similar coniferous soft woods. Certainly isn't "quarter sawn" either.
Reminds me vaguely of cedar of lebanon. You can find all sorts of odds and ends of unfamiliar timber under coats of paint, in older buildings

Last edited:
If you look at the end of the board you can see the growth rings. If they are running from front to back, then you have a quartersawn board

Looks like Douglas Fir to me. Pine is usually slash cut and so the grain pattern it determined by how far from the centre it is. DF has a sweet distinctive smell, and is quite resiny even after a lot of years.

Doesn't look like ordinary "pine" i.e. Scots Pine a.k.a. "redwood" in UK, but could be one of the 100s of other similar coniferous soft woods. Certainly isn't "quarter sawn" either.
Reminds me vaguely of cedar of lebanon. You can find all sorts of odds and ends of unfamiliar timber under coats of paint, in older buildings

Could be southern yellow pine, I have some that looks very similar to this on some bits.

Ollie

Image shamelessly stolen from another woodwork forum:

16209908942_236a56cbdf_o.jpg
My timber supplier (and many others, I guess) calls "Plain Sawn", "T&T" (through and through). Confused me when I first met that! (Just like, in my early days of dealing with computers, I never found any translation if those strange initials, "IT"! :unsure:)

Thanks for all your answers. From what you have advised I am guessing that it's a plain sawn Douglas Fir. I chopped the end today so here is the end grain but I didn't get the slightest whiff of pine odour; perhaps it's the age of the timber? Could therefore be Yellow PineView attachment 114808

Attachments

• 1627414150359.png
    1627414150359.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1627414908553.png
    1627414908553.png
    310 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back