New member first post...treadle lathe question...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilP

Reaction score
Hi every one...

I guess you will have to wait for the pictures until I have completed my first three posts...

But yesterday i was given a pile of bits when I went to get a 1950's tractor wheel.

A lathe it seems...
Treadle powered...but not like any I can find pictures of.

I can't work out if it is Wood work or metal work lathe... so i am posting here for now rather than Wood work or metal work section

It has a chuck like a metal working lathe.

It is made by "Hobbies" which is an annoying name on the modern age of Google as searching for "Hobbies" brings up all sorts of false links.

Also the strange thing about it is the treadle drive mechanism

It is not the type with a treadle connected to a rod - to a wheel to a belt...

It is a treadle with a chain ..that does not rotate..it is a length of chain fixed by a spring at either end.
The chain runs over a sprocket with a freewheel in it so each push on the pedal pulls the gear and turns the lathe..and then the up stroke, the freewwheel comes in to play to allow it to go back .

Once I have completed my 3 Frist user posts I'll post links to the photos I have uploaded to Postmages.cc

Thanks

Yes one of the many pages i found, but nothing similar.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up in a few posts...

It might even be a Frankenstein machine! It had been converted to an electric motor drive ..and the top end looks vey much like metal work lathe but with out tool post...

it might even be an old project never completed and a mix of bits...will try boiling bit together later today...Off for my every 3 day CoVID test first thing ..yikes...need to be there in 25 miuinutes.....

23F0DC90-23ED-492A-B3C0-CB5EBD770896.jpeg
C4350FA2-79D5-4007-8A33-4AA9D463254A.jpeg
DA1458FE-0D87-4783-96D5-3F4E37BA7092.jpeg
69F1A950-5C76-464F-B381-99830AFE1147.jpeg
8EDC1AFD-45C4-46A0-A079-01C3E2C382EA.jpeg

Back