new machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aramco

Established Member
Reaction score
hi it has been a while since I posted on here, things have been a bit hectic what with being flooded, lock down and filling orders, time has just vanished, I have just bought a proxxon mini table saw, the 230 model - cheapest - from Axminster tools just took it out of the box and was pleasantly surprised, at the quality of the machine, it was expensive for what it is £112 ish I have yet to use it, but that will - hopefully - change this afternoon ,this is to go along with my Hegner scroll saw, to make , both a gipsy caravan and a shepherds hut in 1/12 scale, this is a new venture for me, I have done intarsia etc but decided to go off on a tangent and start these, something I have wanted to do since the 1960s but life kept getting in the way, I will put posts on as the builds progress, I purchased the plans for the gipsy caravan from hobby uk, it is a John Thompson drawing, he has many plans on this site, and the plans where a reasonable price £6.50, just in case anyone else is looking to do this kind of thing, the shepherds hut, I got rough measurements from the internet - found one someone had made and he listed most of the dimensions - the rest I will figure out as I go, I do have problems with axles, and finding the right materials to do the job has been time consuming to say the least and I may yet have got it wrong, we will see.

If anyone is interested in getting some bb plywood with patches in - 2 in 4 sheets - and a bit of discoloration about 50 mm up the end of the sheet on one side and one end nothing that cannot be worked around I have just bought 4 sheets of 5 mm x 300 mm x 600 mm from trustleaf off eBay or £19.80 post free, it is ideal for what I want to do, it would do for cutting plques etc

take care and stay safe

John

Thanks for the info Aramco, and congratulations on the new machine. Proxxon machines generally have a good rep but personally I've only seen their scroll saws in a shop window and in pix in a catalogue. I'm sure you've already looked but I have a feeling - no more than that - that the smallest scroll saw in their range takes only short (3 inch??) blades. If so that of course somewhat limits your blade choice - BUT I may well be wrong there.

Good luck with your new venture. I'm sure you've seem some of member Dalboy's post where he's built some 1st class vehicles (including a tractor, railway loco, and best of all IMO, a German WWII half-tracked vehicle).

Look forward to seeing some WIPs from you.

Cheers

its a mini table saw, and no I have not seen and Dalboys posts, have you got a link pkease

John

Ah sorry John, I thought you meant the smaller Proxxon SCROLL saw!

Glad you found the Dalboy posts. IMO his work is really top class - the sort of thing that I aspire to anyway. As per my 1st post here, now looking forward to some WIPs mate.

All the best

Thanks for the info Aramco, and congratulations on the new machine. Proxxon machines generally have a good rep but personally I've only seen their scroll saws in a shop window and in pix in a catalogue. I'm sure you've already looked but I have a feeling - no more than that - that the smallest scroll saw in their range takes only short (3 inch??) blades. If so that of course somewhat limits your blade choice - BUT I may well be wrong there.

Good luck with your new venture. I'm sure you've seem some of member Dalboy's post where he's built some 1st class vehicles (including a tractor, railway loco, and best of all IMO, a German WWII half-tracked vehicle).

Look forward to seeing some WIPs from you.

Cheers

I think you are mistaken with the smallest Proxxon scroll saw which take standard blades, but its not like a usual scroll saw in that it bounces the blade up and down, its a single driven arm, I have not tried one but wouldn't want to be honest

Yeah John, it's quite possible (likely even?) that I'm mistaken about that Proxxon scroll saw. For some reason I just THINK/THOUGHT they take only short blades (like Dremel scroll saws), but I don't really know why I think that :confused:

Yeah John, it's quite possible (likely even?) that I'm mistaken about that Proxxon scroll saw. For some reason I just THINK/THOUGHT they take only short blades (like Dremel scroll saws), but I don't really know why I think that :confused:

The only saw I have come across that takes the 3" blades is the Dremel motosaw which is rather limited IMHO not to mention expensive for the blades

well today I am going to return the proxxen table saw, by far to small for what I wanted to do. And to add insult to injury my new Dremel 3000 has packed up, only had it 3 months, the dremel 4000 lasted 2.5 years just long enough to get out of warranty, and the price of spares is stupid, cheaper to buy another drill, and my dewalt drill the chuck keeps jamming, nowts made to last is it,

on a lighter note I am scrolling a pattern by Wayne Mahler, of the lords prayer in a heart, having to stack cut it as it is fragile, makes a change from the 3/4 stuff I have been doing since November last year ,

take care
John

Sorry to hear about your problems John. In the past I've seen quite a few adverse comments about Dremel tools here (though Proxxon generally seem to have a good rep.). Perhaps I'm just lucky but I've got a Dremel mains drill which is easily 15+ years old now and never had a problem. But my DeWalt drill chuck is also getty a bit ratty now. But ah well, that doesn't help you I know :(

Anyway, good luck with your returns, and with the new project mate.

Latest posts

Back