new LN small router plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I ran home today for lunch to snap some pics of the new small router plane. Sorry for the iffy image quality -- I think my camera was out to lunch too.

271a.jpg

271b.jpg

271c.jpg

Gloatius maximus, Dave. :D But boy, it's not ticking any boxes for looks with this galoot, although methinks it'd look sweet in bronze...

Cheers, Alf

Hi Philly,

It's a cute little thing; cost me $75. Not sure what that would be for you over in GB. :wink:

Dave

Alf":2tnae8zg said:
Gloatius maximus, Dave. :D But boy, it's not ticking any boxes for looks with this galoot, although methinks it'd look sweet in bronze...

Cheers, Alf

You too eh? I think it'd be mighty sweet in bronze. :) I wouldn't be surprised if that option becomes available later.

Thanks Dave. Yeah, ditto on the bronze, too. Useful little tool though. Do you have the Stanley for a comparison?? (review, review!) :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

I looked at that last pic for ages trying to figure out why on earth someone would design it with the screw in the way till I figured out it was the back....Doh.

I have to say, I can't see too many advantages here over something banged togather out of wood (given a blade to start with).

Paul Kierstead":246idpdy said:
I have to say, I can't see too many advantages here over something banged togather out of wood (given a blade to start with).
Aww, Paul, that's not the point :roll: :lol: But yeah, I confess I use the one I made based on a PWW article an awful lot more than my Stanley 271 and it works just fine while being as ugly as sin. Mind you the Stanley's no looker... Question: is there such a thing as a pretty router plane? :-k

Cheers, Alf

Alf":s6hc6xyz said:
... Question: is there such a thing as a pretty router plane? :-k
Cheers, Alf

Well, it's prettier than anything that I could cobble together in addition to being instantly usable. I have more furniture projects & shop projects than I have the time or energy for.

A while ago, I purchased a nooitgedagt shoulder plane and my wife asked me why I bought it when I could have made one just like it. Well, I said, I can make almost anything but if I spend my time making shop tools, when can I build any furniture? :roll: :wink:

Wise words, Dave :lol:
You obviously have been buying tools under the Wife's nose for quite some time :lol:

Point well made, and I could end up with one (or a competing one...) yet.

I brought it up 'cause although it is functional, it is butt ugly (unusual for LN) and does not require much precision, i.e. it is a long long way from a shoulder plane in difficulty. OTOH, the price is sane (not cheap by any measure, but sane).

Incidently, I expect you could easily make something just as good looking. A far-sighted beaver with bad teeth and a gimp paw could nibble out something just as good looking. Still, if it popped up for a single click purchase while I was orderin...

Philly":1xivpocx said:
Wise words, Dave :lol:
You obviously have been buying tools under the Wife's nose for quite some time :lol:

Words to live by -- if you want a happy marriage. I snuck one tool into the shop that she didn't know about (a LV large shoulder plane). I'll never pull that again. :shock: Now I keep her in "the know" and she helps me decide if I really need that new tool. :)

Alf":2nnht197 said:
Question: is there such a thing as a pretty router plane? :-k

Bought a second-hand Record #722 router plane the other day. Not pretty but I thought it looked quite cute :D Suppose I could paint it a pretty colour :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":21mn8ipd said:
Bought a second-hand Record #722 router plane the other day. Not pretty but I thought it looked quite cute :D Suppose I could paint it a pretty colour :-k

Mighty fine tool, IMHO. Other's appear to think so too, since it's doesn't sell cheaply unless you're lucky. Around 18-25 quid appears to be the going "retail".

Sharpening the blades for these little pippers can be "interesting"

BugBear

bugbear":2xrgwnrw said:
Paul Chapman":2xrgwnrw said:

Mighty fine tool, IMHO. Other's appear to think so too, since it's doesn't sell cheaply unless you're lucky. Around 18-25 quid appears to the be going "retail".

Yes, in particular the blade-holding bolt (as detailed on your website) is a great design, which is why I went for the Record. Paid £25 for mine but it was in nice condition.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have the Record 722 as well and it works fine for its purpose.
Tis nice to see these type of oldies getting a new lease of life.
Collectors seem to be grabbing up the lions share of what originals are out there.

Regarding appearances, thankfully in life that is not so important otherwise the midwifes would be flamed for letting quite a few pass unnoticed through quality control!

Back