New Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
Currently agonizing over the choice between the CL4 and the Axminster AWVSWL1200D, personaly I prefer the 1200D as it seems very solid, I did a forum search but failed to find the correct terms that would bring up any posts about it, so I am interested in any experiences regarding this machine.

The CL4 would also likely fit the bill (I turn anything from large bowls to tiny finials) but by the time I have added the stand and a bowl turning attachment, there isn't a lot of difference in the price, however, it is available (searching got me a best price of around £760 for the lathe alone, if you know any better dealers I would appreciate a link)

The 1200D however is temporarily out of stock, I will be calling Axminster to find out how long for, but they usually have a date if it's soon, no date for the lathe though.

However, I can still soldier on with the elf for now, though it is pretty rattly at the higher two speeds and generates a fair bit of vibration which is affecting the work on small items (chatter marks)

I know of at least two people who have purchased the CL4 and had nothing but trouble with the motors one has had 4 new motors in 10 months and it still sounds like a bucket of loose nuts and bolts the other 5 new motors in 4 months and it is going back and he is getting his money back and there are more on different forums that I have read having trouble

indeed, but you need to know what IS outstanding in the first place.

Well after much deliberation I finally went for a JET 1642, it's slightly shorter bed being a major factor as space is a bit tight in the shed, I got a great deal from Timberman and am looking forward to it's arrival in about a weeks time!

Hi Kim

I had a 1442 (the one down from yours) for about 8 years and it was brilliant. I'm sure you'll love your new toy. You can always get a bed extension for it if you ever need it a little longer.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Kim,
You'll not be disappointed with your choice.

I've had a 1642 for a few years now and despite plenty of abuse it's still running true and just as quiet as it was when I bought it.

FYI if you need to turn bigger diameter stuff I've fitted the outboard turning attachment of the AWVSWL1200 to the 1642 RH leg which works pretty well (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post663771.html?hilit=1642 outboard#p663771)

HTH
Jon

I am certainly eager for the arrival, I noted your mod with the Axminster extension in another thread Chipmunk, that was a very handy bit of info that I have kept in mind, as you stated, for £50 it's a snip. I am pretty sure I will end up getting one eventually.
Thanks Woody, I am sure I will enjoy it thoroughly!

Back