New Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockfisher

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here stumbled across this site over the weekend while searching the t'interwebz.Looking at getting into a bit of wood turning (mid-life crisis) not done any for over 20 years since i was in school. mooching about in the loft the other week i found some of my exam pieces, clock,bowl plus remeber turning some very nice salt and pepper pots.
So looking for a bit of help regarding lathes, not looking at spending £££££££ just yet as ive had these (mid-life erges) before :roll: ive narowed my choice down to these 3 as a starter lathe to get me back into it.
Axminster AWVSL
Scheppach DMT450
SIP 01936
So any thoughts/views on these would be appreciated.
Seen quite a few reviews on the Axminster but the other 2 seem a bit vague.
Thanks for looking
Cheers Lee

Lee...

I started with the AWVSL1000 just over 3 years ago. It was a good starting point for me.

Sold it after 2 years having found my niche (hammer) and bought a Jet 1220VS, similar to what you're looking at.

So i'd say, decide what it is you'd like to turn and and make that the deciding factor....

Mind you.... there are a whole load of other 'variables' as well :lol:

Nick

Hiya mate. I started a few months ago with the Axminster AWVSL bench mounted lathe and I love it. Keep an eye on eBay as they seem to come up now and again. The only real drawback is the swing over bed, which is max 9inches. Great for starting out though, especially for the price. As everyone always says, Axminster service is second to none.

I'm only up the road in Runcorn so if you want to pop over and have a play, let me know. Also, there's an Axminster store n Warrington on your way home!

Back