new lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz8521

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, im thinking of buying a record cl1 as my first lathe is this a good choice.have allso looked at the charnwood and fox f46 but i think the record wins on build quality.

Hi gaz8521, welcome to the forum.

When woodturning I think the lathe should be as heavy as possible in case you wish to turn a unbalanced piece of wood. Then although not necessary, variable speed can be a great help, be it electrical or mechanical.

My personal preference would be for either the Charnwood or Fox, or similar in no special order simply because of the amount of cast iron, and the variable speed.

Hello Gaz and welcome :D
Being a previous owner of a Perform CCBL lathe i would recommend one of those for the money.
Also had a Record DML24 before that which i didn't like.
Paul.J.

I dont like the Banjo assembly on the fox lathe the bowl arm has to stay in place because the stem on the rest is short. The Charnwood for me is a bit of an unknown quantity I have never used one. The CL1 is OK and you could upgrade the motor or fit a variable speed at a later date

thanks for the advice.still sold on the record machine,just waiting for my new shed/workshop to arrive and i can get going-cant wait

my lathe is the cl1 and i have been using it for about 12 hours a week for the last 2 years and i cannot fault it.
i find the machine very simple and easy to use :lol:

i must admit i had a record power dml 24, with all the bits for a while and ran it for about 18 hours a day, it wasnt the heaviest lathe/quite a light weight, but never failed,

so i've got the lathe now and all's looking well.so can anybody suggest which tools to get , are the record tools any good?

Yes,Record tools are fine - any HSS (High Speed Steel) chisels will be suitable;nothing to stop you using carbon steel chisels of course - the main difference is that they are cheaper,but need sharpening much more often.
And whatever you get,budget for something to sharpen them with (if you don't already have something) - blunt chisels are no good,regardless of what make or type.

Andrew

My main problem seems to be of my own making. I have re-tooled recently and bought a Record DML 36 with bowl turning attachment. It's fine but I still get some vibration despite following the excellent advice from the record Power website.
here's what I'm wondering.
The bench is made out of 3" X 7" X 42" planks from B & Q, 3 deep. The legs are 4" X 2" and are set in three rows of 3 deep from the right hand end, rag bolted into a solid concrete floor, whilst the left hand end and the rear side are each carried on a 2" X 2" wooden bearer attached to a breeze block wall.
I have built a shelf underneath which carries two bags of sand about 14 Lb each to al least dampen the vibration a bit.
What I'm wondering is that I built the bench fairly high, over 3' from the ground because I'm disabled and wanted to be able to sit whilst turning. That has never worked so I'm now looking at one of two solutions.
First that the bench is too high and should come down to about 2' 6" or so and the other is to buy the purpose built frame for the DML 36 and use the bench elsewhere.
At present, I can't turn spindles to a fine diameter unless they are less than 12" and even then, I have another bag of sand hanging over the rods to the right of the tailstock.
I have asked about the frame made for the CL lathes but Record tell me it won't do, only the £40 model will work with my lathe.
Any thoughts on the foregoing most welcome.
I was getting better results with my old lathe which is an old fabricated, square box bed machine that cost about £75 new some 20 years ago!
docusk

Latest posts

Back