New Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I wonder if someone could help me out please. I am keen to start Wood turning but don't know which lathe to go for. I have looked at the Draper & Clarke ranges so far and have around £200 to spend on the lathe. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

John :?

Hi John
Have you any experience in woodturning?
The reason I ask is that it`s a lot of money to spend not just on the lathe but you will also need a reasonable set of tools, faceplate for turning bowls,etc,etc the list is endless and if your not sure that you are going to enjoy it it could be a waste of money, a mate of mine picked up a very respectable lathe complete with tools second hand for under £100 and liked it so much he has now progressed to a nice new shiny (and expensive) one.
On the other hand if you know you enjoy turning its far better to spend a little more for a good quality machine that has a few extra facitlities like a sliding and rotating headstock etc which makes life a lot easier in the long run and will probably last a lifetime.
Have a look at the Axminster range (I have the M950 which I think is a superb machine) which are reasonably priced and good quality.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?sub=204

Happy turning :)

Hi, John,

Welcome! Are you a pirate :?:

It is well worth spending some time considering and looking at the options for all the bits of kit you will need to get started. (Keep saving in the meantime!). In addition to the lathe and tools you will need a suitable bench grinder, chucking systems, face protection and dust masks, abrasives, sealers and polishes, etc., etc. As Jim says, the list is endless, and as you get into turning your list will quickly grow.

But don't be put off - it's great. When I first started I spent maybe 12-18 months researching what I needed/wanted by reading mags. and catalogues, and visiting shows and exhibitions where I was able to talk to and glean good advice from some of the well-known woodturners, all before I actually bought any kit - time very well spent, I learnt a lot, and it thankfully avoided me making expensive mistakes.

If you can get hold of a copy of Issue 146 (April) of Good Woodworking magazine there are some pointers in there on putting together a 'start-up' kit. Best of luck.

Trev.

Back