new lathe!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gog64

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in wood turning after seeing a few demonstrations and watching some youtubers but haven't taken the plunge as I haven't really got much free time! Anyway, my wife convinced me that I should get one for my birthday and so I bought a little one from Axminster. About 12 hours later (literally) a TNT van turned up with the new machine.

My son helped me set it up yesterday and finally today I got a couple of hours to have a play. I'm hooked! What great fun this is. I made a very simple bowl from some leftover scrap, pretty crude, but had a lot of fun doing it. If I can figure out how to do it, a pic follows.

Stand by for a few questions, I'm sharpening the tools by eye at the moment and understand from reading your previous posts that a jig is pretty much required, so will be picking your brains shortly.

bowl.jpg

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 645
That's an excellent job especially on pine.
If you can sharpen by hand it's well worth doing because you will be able to sharpen any time any where.
The aim is the removal of the least amount of metal possible to attain a sharp edge.
This is where a jig comes into its own as it gives consistency especially for gouges which, if the wings are ground back, requires the handle to be moved sideways as the tool is rolled.

I use a Robert Sorby jig combined with a Creusen slow speed grinder fast repeatable grinds, literally a few seconds then back to the lathe

Nice to see a bit of pine being used. My favourite wood, or woods - there's a lot of them.

Great finish on pine! and your first turn? Fabulous.
I am just coming back to turning after a long break. And yes .... it is habit forming! =D>

Back