New lathe ? ...Nova 1624-44 or Record CL4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vkrause

Reaction score
Right,... I have done days of research online and have narrowed it down to two lathes. The Nova 1624-44 or the Record CL4? The nova seems sturdy and a 1,5HP motor, but with stepped belt drives . The Record have variable speed, but smaller 1 HP motor. I will mostly turn bowls and platters. Some very large. Both these lathes costs more or less the same and about the limit of affordability for me.

Please help, if anyone knows something about these two lathes.

if you search this forum, you will find this a relatively common discussion.

I have the1624 and did as Blister said and got a Vari/speed from Hadocks and would not change to any other lathe.
with the outrigger attached you can turn up to 26 /27" dont know about the CL4.
I had mine for over a year before I got the V/S. you have a very good lathe without it but you have a super lathe with it.

Thank you Boysie39, You and Blister have now helped made my mind up. I will soon be turning away on the Nova 1624-44 !...Perhaps I shall have to name my mashine after either of you! Cheers.

vkrause":22gkzocv said:
Thank you Boysie39, You and Blister have now helped made my mind up. I will soon be turning away on the Nova 1624-44 !...Perhaps I shall have to name my mashine after either of you! Cheers.

Why not BLISS39 it sounds good :lol: :lol:

Hi

For what it's worth - I have a CL3 which I have upgraded to CL4 and I think it's a great machine, (but haven't used the Nova). CL3/4 is quoted as capable of 30" offset turning - I have turned spinning wheel rims to 24" with no issues.

Regards Mick

Don't try to confuse me now Mick ( you proud owner of a Record CL4). My mind is made up,...This "Nova baby" have even been named!..."Bliss39"

boysie39":6qcp4i52 said:
vkrause":6qcp4i52 said:

Why not BLISS39 it sounds good :lol: :lol:

How about a Boyster? :D
Greg

to upset things more, i have a nova and a cl4 and i like the cl4 more than the nova sorry to rock the apple cart lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: DON'T be swayed :lol:

The CL4 has round bar poles for a lathe bed :(

The Nova has a CAST IRON lathe bed :lol: :mrgreen:

Cast is GOOD :wink:

Hi

My previous, (first), lathe had a cast bed - I don't notice any comprimise with the Record 'bar' bed, what is the issue please?

Regards Mick

Thank you for the advice from everyone so far. I do appreciate it. I am sure there are many pros and cons to these two models and personal taste an type of work done on it will also come into play at the end of the day. I am happy with my decision.

Thank you all.

Back