New laptop advice sort

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife would like a new 17" laptop but every where I look its windows 8.

anyone know where there is a W7?

How reliable and stress proof would buying a w8 and taking the w10 upgrade off the net?

I'm not sure you can buy anything with Windows 7 on it any more.

While my experiences with 10 weren't great, my wife's Surface Pro is very nice on 10 - it's much better than 8 in terms of user interface.

devonwoody":3mn7aork said:
How reliable and stress proof would buying a w8 and taking the w10 upgrade off the net?

The words 'reliable', 'stress proof' and 'Windows' can be used together in a sentence, usually preceded with 'totally un-'.

Leave the DarkSide. Buy a MacBook.

This is the true path to inner peace and harmony.

Then a Jedi you will be.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/ do 17" laptops with a choice of Windows 7 or Windows 10 installed. They also have a "no bloatware" guarantee; the laptop comes loaded with the operating system and nothing else. I have 4 of their machines and they are excellent. Customer service is exemplary too.

Pete

Zeddedhed":3a7mkiae said:
devonwoody":3a7mkiae said:

The words 'reliable', 'stress proof' and 'Windows' can be used together in a sentence, usually preceded with 'totally un-'.

Leave the DarkSide. Buy a MacBook.

This is the true path to inner peace and harmony.

Then a Jedi you will be.

And about 1500 beer tokens lighter too :mrgreen: I am quite happy with my MacBook Pro 13" and I agree with Zed-baby!! 8)

One of the reasons I got my Lenovo with Win7 is that it had none of that Secure Boot and UEFI nonsense so it was easy to install Linux on

Ive just upgraded a windows 8 machine to windows 10 then installed some 3rd party software called classic shell.

Now the machine has the fast start up of windows 8 with a UI that acts like windows 7 or xp.

I absolutely hate windows 8, first time I used the computer it took me ages to work out how to turn it off, and things have only gone downhill since.

Slight hijack of this thread (but definitely +1 for Novatech machines!)
Against better judgement was persuaded to go the update route to W10 from W7. It does start up a lot faster, and quite a lot of stuff seems to work OK, though the interface is really ugly. BUT, it refuses to admit that my Epson R200 photoprinter exists. Have tried all the things it tells you to do, and the best it can come up with is "this printer is in an error condition". Which it shouldn't be, because it worked fine the day before changing the OS. It found my Samsung 410 laser quite happily.

Any useful ideas?
(and, no, don't bother saying to get a Mac. Or Linux - I'm over 70, for heavens sake!)

dickm":1poro1u1 said:
(and, no, don't bother saying to get a Mac. Or Linux - I'm over 70, for heavens sake!)

That's one of the best reasons for getting a Mac. There's virtually no learning curve.
A day at the most and you're off and running - and you'll never look back.

The wife got a 17" Acer and currys are upping it to W10 and backup on a memory stick.

Her 17" Toshiba has been used the past 7 years and I am taking it on board to run my pdf music and midis on my Yamaha.

Mac are no good for my usage.

They gave me free Cloud for a year, but if I do no renew next year does that mean I lose access to my picture and music etc?

Zeddedhed":f0wn8x18 said:
That's one of the best reasons for getting a Mac.

Though the best reason for getting a Mac is, of course, so that people stop telling you to get a Mac when you've specifically asked them not to. ;)

Sporky McGuffin":1bmhye11 said:
Zeddedhed":1bmhye11 said:
That's one of the best reasons for getting a Mac.

Though the best reason for getting a Mac is, of course, so that people stop telling you to get a Mac when you've specifically asked them not to. ;)

Ah, but then we ask you

'Aren't you glad you got a Mac'?

or

'Don't you wish you got one sooner'?

:lol:

dickm":1c4gnaou said:
Slight hijack of this thread (but definitely +1 for Novatech machines!)
Against better judgement was persuaded to go the update route to W10 from W7. It does start up a lot faster, and quite a lot of stuff seems to work OK, though the interface is really ugly. BUT, it refuses to admit that my Epson R200 photoprinter exists. Have tried all the things it tells you to do, and the best it can come up with is "this printer is in an error condition". Which it shouldn't be, because it worked fine the day before changing the OS. It found my Samsung 410 laser quite happily.

Any useful ideas?

Linux with mate is exactly like win 98 but without the crashes or loopholes for viruses.
Oh yes, I am also over 70 :) and still like riding my motorcycles :)

Back