New kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slowly chipping away at the installation.
20220104_194343.jpg
20220104_223546.jpg
20220103_161023.jpg
20220102_094713.jpg
20211230_122903.jpg
20211230_140001.jpg
20211227_231830.jpg
20211227_232022.jpg
20211227_190755.jpg

gotta stop my wife look at this kitchen......
cos I'll never get my new workshop done.....
weather is warm n nice....22deg today.....
outside making a start on a load of stable doors....

gotta stop my wife look at this kitchen......
cos I'll never get my new workshop done.....
weather is warm n nice....22deg today.....
outside making a start on a load of stable doors....
Can you post a picture of your doors please advise I'll shortly be making two

I don't think so, but the more I think about it the more it seems a brilliant idea.

They aren't all that common, but they are a thing here. More likely to see one in new (or recently renovated) larger homes / kitchens.

I am in awe, what a great idea.
I've had a kitchen company for 20 years and worked in the industry for over 25 years and never seen this before.
Interesting. I assumed they would be more universal.

I think kitchen is one of the most important parts of your house, and since you have a lot of space, you can design an awesome kitchen as you are not limited by space as you can be in a flat. I am dreaming of a kitchen like author's but I am still building the house, it will be done this year by November. Now I started to search for bespoke kitchens hampshire. To be honest it will cost a lot to build a kitchen of my dreams, seems like I'll have to give up some ideas, but in the end I hope I'll have a great kitchen

Last edited:
I am in awe, what a great idea.
I've had a kitchen company for 20 years and worked in the industry for over 25 years and never seen this before.

I wonder if the supply voltage has anything to do with it. 240v in Europe kills you faster than 120v in the USA so maybe electrical regulations rule out taps above hobs here. I think there is a minimum permitted distance between an electric socket and a sink/tap, maybe the same applies to hobs. Any electricians reading this thread?

I wonder if the supply voltage has anything to do with it. 240v in Europe kills you faster than 120v in the USA so maybe electrical regulations rule out taps above hobs here. I think there is a minimum permitted distance between an electric socket and a sink/tap, maybe the same applies to hobs. Any electricians reading this thread?

I think you will be correct.

I think you will be correct.

I could see a reason not to have it away from a sink in general (just to limit the number of places someone in the kitchen can get exposed to water), but not necessarily a good one.

The 120V outlets here do plenty of killing, though, when someone grounds themselves. Apparently, GFCI outlets in bathrooms and kitchens have cut residential electrocutions from about 800 a year to 200.

Not that we don't have outlets close to sinks, anyway, I guess - there are three within four feet of my sink (older house - five if you include the one on the ceiling specially made for a clock - but that doesn't count) - they would've been ungrounded originally but are gfci now.

Surely hobs have pans of water on them - regularly boiling over?! :)

I very much doubt a tap, in close proximity to a Hob or Range, would pass inspection here in the UK.

Surely hobs have pans of water on them - regularly boiling over?! :)

In the states, they definitely do- we're less methodical and rule-following than English folks. The ranges here are definitely 240v.

The warning when I was young was two-fold, but didn't involve water near the oven - rather the rumor that some folks like to dry their hair in the tub (which seemed far fetched even when I was a child), as well as people dropping plug-in appliances in sinks and reaching in to fish them out - that seems less far fetched.

(dropping a curling iron in a sink or something seems more realistic than lounging in the bathtub and drying hair).

Here the outlets can't be more than 24" away from a sink (no minimum distance).

Back