New kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jar944, thanks for all the photo's...it fair cheered me up.....

when I was young and single I went to live in California......
u know, the land of the Beach Boys, young and body beautiful.....and the beaches...(most are private).....
the first peice of advice I got from a dear friend......
remember if u see another mans wife, the husband has a gun......hahaha.....

this sign just sums it up.....always made me laugh.....
shopping.jpeg
I had 5 years in heavan.....Blondes, cheap tooling and Harleys.....hahaha....
Now..... too old, too fat and not enough money......

I found a cheap 2 up,2 down wooden planked "cottage" on a very small plot.....
between Wesminster and Seal Beach.....needed work......
It was almost 500,000$ almost 50 years ago.....
I bought a new 2up,two down terraced/row house in S Manchester 40 years ago for £12,000 cash....
it's all relative......but who wants to live in the Rainy City.....hahaha....

I'm jealous...In Britain this larder-closet would be classed as " a good-sized-kitchen "

In many places in the US, that's the case. And if you go back far enough, many of the houses had an open fireplace and no kitchen at all, just a dry storage area and then an outdoor kitchen later to be supplemented by a cookstove that pulled double duty.

The large open kitchens (let's say in 2500SF or more two floor houses) occupying a large amount of the first floor is sort of a new thing.

In the more affluent neighborhoods, large "dad's kingdom" unfinished basements are going away, too. 5000SF and nowhere to make dirt is becoming common unless the builder decides otherwise (a relative has a house that's 5100SF above and below ground - the prior owner had the far end of the basement sectioned off and sunken a further 3 feet to make a long workshop with 12 foot ceilings. The prior owner headed south to the warm weather and left all kinds of old commercial equipment and said relative sold it for pennies on craigslist - which leaves a separate topic of interest here - how rarely an avid woodworker's tools get sold the way they think they will be sold....but that's a separate topic).

Firstly, great work there, looks fab!

I see those size houses on films etc and think 'wow, theyve got so much space out there' and then remind myself that theyve also got crammed cities as well.... one day id love to get a place with space

That’s wonderful work! Just come back from the east coast and after several visits I am still blown away by the style of the houses, Mind you some of them are going to silly extremes with as many different roof lines as possible.View attachment 124658
Maybe they had 6 extensions🤣
I'm jealous...In Britain this larder-closet would be classed as " a good-sized-kitchen "

If you were a landlord, thatd be classed as an extra bedroom😆

Edited because i messed up a quote

Appliances are in. Paneled look nice (hence why I chose them) but what a pain to install.
20211221_211720.jpg
20211221_210003.jpg
20211221_205939.jpg
20211221_205924.jpg
20211221_081439.jpg

spent last night building these lazy susan trays. Supply issues made me order the plastic ones, but they flex to much to actually use. So I knocked these out. I'd much rather have just bought them.
20211221_010152.jpg
20211220_170101.jpg

ps, forgot to ask....what spindle moulder do u have....
perhaps a sneeky peak at the workshop sometime....
is it as big as the house.....lol.....

For spindle moulders I have a bridgewood 511, Casolin f90 and an invicta Ti-14.
20200702_230613.jpg
20210109_214034.jpg

The shop is a "3 car" garage 20'x30', though I do hope to build a dedicated building one day.
20210529_151705.jpg
20210529_155815.jpg
20210529_155830.jpg
20210529_155837.jpg

Wow, that’s good. I shall be setting up a workshop in PA in the next couple of years, I might be asking you what makes of equipment to be looking at nearer the time, it certainly looks like a professional set up you have there. Ian

Wow, that’s good. I shall be setting up a workshop in PA in the next couple of years, I might be asking you what makes of equipment to be looking at nearer the time, it certainly looks like a professional set up you have there. Ian

Sure I'd be happy to give free advice..lol
Most/all of my equipment has been second hand so I generally got whatever was available (and cheap).

Jar944
thanks for the photo's of the w/shop...the first photo shows about a million £'s worth of plywood.....hahaha.....
the jointer is a true star.....
what do u do with the saw /planer dust.....? must have a big compost heap.....
just so u know, every garage I've ever had has never had a car in it.......lol....

Jar944
thanks for the photo's of the w/shop...the first photo shows about a million £'s worth of plywood.....hahaha.....
the jointer is a true star.....
what do u do with the saw /planer dust.....? must have a big compost heap.....
just so u know, every garage I've ever had has never had a car in it.......lol....

I dump the dust out at the back of the property, it piles up and I spread it out to keep the weeds down beyond where I have the fence.

I've had my truck in the garage but it didn't fit well enough to actually be able to park in there.

Granite came yesterday. They cut the cooktop 1.5" to wide so they had to cut another slab. Worked out in the end though. I still need to do a bunch more things to finish the install, but at least it will be functional for Christmas 🎄.

20211223_093032.jpg
20211222_214242.jpg

I had them include a stone stool. I think I will work out well once I add the moulding.
20211222_163828.jpg
20211222_155346.jpg

And what it looked like a few weeks ago
20211202_085322.jpg

Looks great. We have one of the Fisher & Paykel dishwashers too. Great machine for a couple and the second drawer comes into its own when you have a full load. You'll like it.

Pete

Latest posts

Back