New kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for that house, here they would have shoe horned another twenty or more onto that plot and I suspect it is to stop them falling over, a bit like cheap fully fitted kitchens where all the units combine to keep everything together.

We have the same issue really as with woodworking machines, we all complain about the quality but people still buy them and so nothing changes, same with newbuilds.

Fortunately I live where there is a 2 acre minimum lot requirement for residential homes. The county I live in is generally anti development and has blocked as much urban sprawl as possible. One county over in either direction will get you rows and rows of homes on land just big enough to build on.

Here the only real consideration is sqft. The biggest box per $ is the best value. Interior finishes and designs are very low on the list, typically its as cheap as possible. Moulding and millwork are a complete afterthought (if any thought was given)

My goal in this house is to make it have character. I've been all over the place with my own design aesthetic, but have generally stayed on a mix of colonial and victorian influences. I prefer straight Victorian but this house can't with the overall design. Eventually all the millwork in the entire house including the stairs and banister(s) will be replaced

Jar944,
stunning work......I hope/sure it will add to the value of ur home....plus u'll just love being there....

it's a shame I can't afford the wood even if you can buy decent stuff.....

2nd photo, the roof is a framers nightmare......hahaha.....
lastly, my wife loves ur pantry but asks what will u put in the kitchen cupboards....?......hahaha....

Lol yes work at work, work on the house, sleep, repeat.

They call everything here that was built between 1980 and 2010 either colonial or modern for the most part , neither have much meaning. Now it's modern farmhouse or craftsman, still without much relevance to anything inside or much outside.

This house is "colonial" in that sense. It's a more traditional facade but was just a generic box inside. The builders here will offer the exact same house floorplan /interior with 5-6 different exterior options.

I've been slowly transforming the interior to a more traditional look.

View attachment 124668
View attachment 124669
Lovely house, if that was next to me it would be about $3,500,000 / £2,600,000 house.

Lovely house, if that was next to me it would be about $3,500,000 / £2,600,000 house.
Houses are much much cheaper in the states – depending on the state. My Pam picked up a three bedroom detached that needed a bit of work ($40k) to rent out, for $17,000, so that’s like prices here 40 years ago!
All timber framed of course and they really know how to build them quickly.

My goal in this house is to make it have character. I've been all over the place with my own design aesthetic, but have generally stayed on a mix of colonial and victorian influences. I prefer straight Victorian but this house can't with the overall design. Eventually all the millwork in the entire house including the stairs and banister(s) will be replaced
I have got several books on trimwork and finish carpentry wrote by Americans like DeKorne & Ted Cushman, Greg Kossow and others from Tauton press and the work is impressive, so much detail and attention to the finish that I would say is very rare in the UK as people just accept the plain boring look often with just MDF trim. But then I suppose adding too much trim would just make the already small rooms even smaller, having done electrical work it is not easy when stud walls are only 75mm thick.

Which state do you live in?

My in laws in Ohio were selling (3.5 acre they had to be) lots in their county for individual homes. Managed to get $30-40k per lot. They laughed when I told them how much 3.5 acres in the country in the UK might go for!

Beautiful kitchen that will be and house. Love architectural trim work.

Jar944,
stunning work......I hope/sure it will add to the value of ur home....plus u'll just love being there....

it's a shame I can't afford the wood even if you can buy decent stuff.....

2nd photo, the roof is a framers nightmare......hahaha.....
lastly, my wife loves ur pantry but asks what will u put in the kitchen cupboards....?......hahaha....

My wife has a lot of cooking/ baking accessories so I'm sure she will fill it all up. That was one of the reasons for the new kitchen (better storage)

Houses are much much cheaper in the states – depending on the state. My Pam picked up a three bedroom detached that needed a bit of work ($40k) to rent out, for $17,000, so that’s like prices here 40 years ago!
All timber framed of course and they really know how to build them quickly.

A bit more than $40k.. =-) but not close to 3.5M.

It's very location dependent. 30-40 miles can be a 30%-50% difference in price.

I have got several books on trimwork and finish carpentry wrote by Americans like DeKorne & Ted Cushman, Greg Kossow and others from Tauton press and the work is impressive, so much detail and attention to the finish that I would say is very rare in the UK as people just accept the plain boring look often with just MDF trim. But then I suppose adding too much trim would just make the already small rooms even smaller, having done electrical work it is not easy when stud walls are only 75mm thick.

Which state do you live in?

I'm in Virginia.

Finish detail is rare here as well. It's usually 2.5" colonial casing (if there is any) and hollow core 6 panel doors. Base board will be whatever is cheap and usually not finished well..

I like to stick to historic texts as far as details are concerned. The design was just more thought out (in my opinion) it's what I used to come with the casing /architrave design for the house. I wanted something that was generally historically accurate and offered the ability to adjust the profile.
20211116_112510.jpg
20211116_112538.jpg
20180827_201653.jpg
20180308_164727.jpg
20180308_165020.jpg
20180325_213424.jpg
20180401_155928.jpg
20211220_095500.jpg

The front door is on the list.. as well as wainscot throughout the entire house.
20211220_095357.jpg

My in laws in Ohio were selling (3.5 acre they had to be) lots in their county for individual homes. Managed to get $30-40k per lot. They laughed when I told them how much 3.5 acres in the country in the UK might go for!

I'm from Pennsylvania where land was $3000 per acre. Here in Virginia I had a 0.09 acre lot assessed at 100k. Everything is available in between (or way higher), and sometimes if feels random. 42 acres just sold a few miles from me for 39M but an adjoining property to me (149 acres) didn't sell for 800k.

Truly amazing work Jar944, clearly extremely gifted/talented.

House prices in the states make me cry a little lol. I have a friend in Chicago who has a 4400sq ft house he barely paid $500k for, in the UK it would be £2mil min back in Leeds where I used to live. It's even a bargain compared to where I am in Canada now, it would be worth $1.5m here easy in a similar neighborhood. Mind you they pay for it in taxes.

There are places in the US where farmland is bringing that right now.

The average acre is probably less here than there, but a 0.3 acre parcel in my neighborhood in a low cost city is $60k.

For a giggle, check out places like avalon NJ on a long thin island. 1/10th of an acre, 4000 square foot particle board and siding house, $4-$6MM.

Love Pennsylvania, drove through in 2 days.

Stayed in wellsbro.

Cheers James

Well, you know where the hardwoods here come from now. Wellsboro is way up there in "God's" country. Potter county or something and I think that used to be their actual motto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potter_County,_Pennsylvania#/media/File:Pike_Township_Enter.jpg
I'm not quite correct after looking it up - coudersport is there - I'm not that far from there, but have never been up there. It's like a different country compared to the two ends of the state.

It's in tioga county next to Potter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellsboro,_Pennsylvania
Pretty area with declining population. If you're willing to live there, it can be done CHEAP.

Well, you know where the hardwoods here come from now. Wellsboro is way up there in "God's" country. Potter county or something and I think that used to be their actual motto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potter_County,_Pennsylvania#/media/File:Pike_Township_Enter.jpg
I'm not quite correct after looking it up - coudersport is there - I'm not that far from there, but have never been up there. It's like a different country compared to the two ends of the state.

It's in tioga county next to Potter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellsboro,_Pennsylvania
Pretty area with declining population. If you're willing to live there, it can be done CHEAP.
Is it a republican area...?!🤔🤔🤔

I'm sure it is. The center of the state and then the two urban areas are like different states. The two urban areas are rivals, but both overall liberal. The center of the state is very republican.

I bet a framed Kitchen is quite unusual in America.
Massive upgrade on the original.

frameless cabinets are often referred to as "euro" in the states. hinges that affix to cabinet boxes same, often called "euro hinges".

Is it a republican area...?!🤔🤔🤔
James I know that was comedic effect, but you appear to have been infected like every one else by the BBC's propaganda, if you were living in a poor areas like those mentioned you wouldn’t want the alternative, and the Republicans would be the natural choice. Also they got a huge percentage of the black American vote last time.
The American people have been given a terrible press, they are the nicest friendliest most polite people you could ever wish to come across – as long as you don’t try and break into their houses of course!
You know when you hear an American say "have a good day", after living in America on and off for quite a while now, they actually do mean it it, it took me a while to realise it. Ian

James I know that was comedic effect, but you appear to have been infected like every one else by the BBC's propaganda, if you were living in a poor areas like those mentioned you wouldn’t want the alternative, and the Republicans would be the natural choice. Also they got a huge percentage of the black American vote last time.
The American people have been given a terrible press, they are the nicest friendliest most polite people you could ever wish to come across – as long as you don’t try and break into their houses of course!
You know when you hear an American say "have a good day", after living in America on and off for quite a while now, they actually do mean it it, it took me a while to realise it. Ian
Sorry I looked up wiki and say it was predominantly republican...nothing wrong with that!
Sorry for the confusion!

Enjoy!

If it weren't for family I'd be out there!!

Cheers James

Back