New Iron to big.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've just got a new iron for my record 9 1/2 and it projects out of the mouth on its first setting by about a mil. So option 1, send it back, any replacement would potentially be the same? Option 2, grind off the offending projection, potentially losing the temper if I pineapple it up, then not being able to take it back. Option 3, find someone nearby with a tomek who would do it for me for beer tokens. Fill in option 4 please.....?

MMUK":hk9kadw2 said:
Could you not grind in another adjuster notch?

Just went into the workshop to check, and yes I can, in fact I've just done it with my Dremel. Plane now working without taking a mil off every stroke,thank you.

I tried the adjuster knob both ways as it has more travel if you turn the knob upside down, or the right way depending how you start. It was still projecting a mil out when the knob had hit the end of travel.

I have to assume you also had the cap iron set properly too, not too far from the cutting edge?

rafezetter":1cavxfhe said:
I have to assume you also had the cap iron set properly too, not too far from the cutting edge?
Ahem. It's a block plane - bevel up, no cap-iron (hammer) .

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":uzor36ib said:
rafezetter":uzor36ib said:
Ahem. It's a block plane - bevel up, no cap-iron (hammer) .

Cheers, Vann.

heh oops - I seem not know my 9 1/2 from my elbow - course he should ahve just said "my block plane" not get all fancy with fandangled numbers :)

rafezetter":3lmmkhtw said:
...course he should have just said "my block plane" not get all fancy with fandangled numbers :)
Quite right. I had to think hard too :wink:

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back