New invention circular saw kick back

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simpler solution would be to fit the riving knife. Dangerous without - surely everybody knows this? Except Americans I guess. :roll:
The other trick is to only just enough blade out to cut the depth. Then there's less backwards throw if it does bind

Mafell have done something similar for years, saw power cuts down if the saw blade is about to bind.

Adidat

Jacob":4vxmte4v said:
.......The other trick is to only just enough blade out to cut the depth. Then there's less backwards throw if it does bind

You're right, but the downside is that when ripping, it is the length of the blade in the cut which holds the saw relatively straight. In other words, once you get in the length of the diameter of the blade, the saw stays straight without needing much control or input. If you cut with a shallow blade, you are constantly having to adjust to control the cut, and the cut is messier as a result.

MikeG.":vfflzs1k said:
Jacob":vfflzs1k said:
.......The other trick is to only just enough blade out to cut the depth. Then there's less backwards throw if it does bind

You're right, but the downside is that when ripping, it is the length of the blade in the cut which holds the saw relatively straight. In other words, once you get in the length of the diameter of the blade, the saw stays straight without needing much control or input. If you cut with a shallow blade, you are constantly having to adjust to control the cut, and the cut is messier as a result.
I use a saw board or just a plain board as guide- length of MFC shelving.

This is what I often do:

vLzvBSr.jpg

But if I am just cutting to a line then I want more blade in the work than just the depth of the material + a bit.

Just the job! If there was a risk of kerf closing on the blade I'd have a few wedges handy.
The riving knife tends to get pinched first so you may get an early warning

All credit to them for trying, but it seems a poor solution to the problem to me.

How many circular saws don’t have sprung guards now-a-days? Expensive ones and cheap Lidl ones do, so why do they think that a manufacturer will add an electromagnetic brake when they can’t fit a bent piece of steel and a spring?

Jacob":20xgicn4 said:
Just the job! If there was a risk of kerf closing on the blade I'd have a few wedges handy.
The riving knife tends to get pinched first so you may get an early warning

Screwdrivers, Jacob! The ultimate one-handed wedge.

That's actually quite clever and although the tech and suggested application has been implemented before this if it takes a Youtuber and his mate to get tool makers to explore more safety options I'm all for that.

I'm also failing to see the partnership here, seems the software guy has done all the work.

shed9":1e3go9vy said:
That's actually quite clever and although the tech and suggested application has been implemented before this if it takes a Youtuber and his mate to get tool makers to explore more safety options I'm all for that......
Wouldn't a mechanical clutch be better and simpler? Do any hand held power saws have them?
I know they work - I've been using a 2HP Hilti core drill - at first I thought the gear box was ferked but it was the clutch kicking out and saving me from having my arms wrenched off!

shed9":esf6s3wb said:
That's actually quite clever and although the tech and suggested application has been implemented before this if it takes a Youtuber and his mate to get tool makers to explore more safety options I'm all for that.

I'm also failing to see the partnership here, seems the software guy has done all the work.

Destin has a massive following on youtube and a high speed camera to show it working, the software guy, doesn't. That's the partnership. (ok, he's also a very clever bloke who does really rocket science for a living, but shhhhh don't let people know that bit).

it's a solution looking for a problem, but then so are most modern ideas.

Jacob":2y95klq6 said:
shed9":2y95klq6 said:
That's actually quite clever and although the tech and suggested application has been implemented before this if it takes a Youtuber and his mate to get tool makers to explore more safety options I'm all for that......
Wouldn't a mechanical clutch be better and simpler? Do any hand held power saws have them?
I know they work - I've been using a 2HP Hilti core drill - at first I thought the gear box was ferked but it was the clutch kicking out and saving me from having my arms wrenched off!

I think the point of this though is that it detects the plane (i.e. 3D coordinates) of the tool in combination with mechanical binding / rpm to determine a dangerous situation to make sure it's safe and useable. There is an element of machine learning to minimise false braking which in itself could be unsafe.

novocaine":3dm2erzd said:
Destin has a massive following on youtube and a high speed camera to show it working, the software guy, doesn't. That's the partnership. (ok, he's also a very clever bloke who does really rocket science for a living, but shhhhh don't let people know that bit).

it's a solution looking for a problem, but then so are most modern ideas.

Must admit never heard of him before now, but clearly his subscriber base is huge.

Not sure circular saw kickback isn't a problem that has the luxury of not needing other solutions though. If you look at the accident stats for handheld circulars, this has some merit. The reality is people (even professionals) have mishaps with them.

A fair comment, although most of those incidents could have been prevented by proper use, maintenance and simple guarding. what this does do is go a step further and fit something that cant be overriden by a user which is a good thing.

Destin does occasionally put out an interesting video that I'll happily watch, unfortunately a lot of his other stuff is of less interest, which I can't complain about, I simply don't watch it. I would have a look through his back catalogue if you get the chance.

Latest posts

Back