New Idea for Xmas Tree Ornaments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would give this a try so I took a couple of my grottiest (?) car boot Prestons and went along to a firm near me who do elctroplating.
we discussed the original finish on a better example and decided which area should be polished and which should be left.
The items were then degreased, carefulle shot with the softest bead medium and then sulphate nickel plated as per the old fashioned way.
A soft polish and voila! ready for the tree!

Now I know that true Co*******s would shun me for doing this but I feel that restoring an item that is a sad shadow of its former self to how it once was is no great crime.
Comments?
I am seriously thinking about giving one of my 'boat anchors' this treatment if I can only work out how to get the handle off in one piece, there is some sort of pin but it does not go all the way through to be driven out. Any one know how?
Regards
Martin (Awaiting excommunication from the Bodgers & Fettlers Union
Nickel-01.jpg

nickel-03.jpg

Nickel-02.jpg

Maybe the boat anchor has a threaded pin and the thumb screw has snapped off ? Try tapping it or drilling it out and buy a new shackle . I like the idea of doing it to a boat anchor , any chance of you telling us the costs ?

Cripes, Martin, you might have put a "Dark Glasses Needed" warning in the subject line! :shock: I admit, it's not for me, but to each their own.

Cheers, Alf

Alf
Ah, the power of a shiny black background!
Actually the flash has overdone it a tad, the majority of the plating is on the as cast areas and is matt, just the highlights are bright polish.
In due deference to your sensibilities I did not go for the hard chrome option.... 8) 8)
Could you have a look at a Stanley combo handle and let me know what the fixing is re the pin on one side?
If I go for a boat anchor plating job, should it be a 405 or a 45 or a 55?
Obviously I'll pck the dirtiest one of each type :twisted:
Regards
Martin

Philly
Lot better than expected. There are three other pieces ( 043, Small Preston shave and a Record Bull nose) that are not quite ready yet and the lot came to £41 + VAT. The platers have advised me that there is more cleaning and prep that I can do before it gets to them and I will save bout 15% more on the next stuff if I go ahead.
Because the jigging is pretty easy and you don't need a copper undercoat and polishing is at a minimum it does not come out too bad cost wise. IMHO.
Thes items were all borderline in condition (and really cheap) so I thought it was worth a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained :)
Regards
Martin
(wondering how an Excalibur would look in chrome....) :lol:

mahking51":1uls5yfm said:
Could you have a look at a Stanley combo handle and let me know what the fixing is re the pin on one side?
IIRC, it's a blind pin. I believe the consensus in previous discussion (that, naturally, I can't find in The Porch archive) was that drilling out the pin is the only option - at the risk of trashing the woodwork. :?

mahking51":1uls5yfm said:
If I go for a boat anchor plating job, should it be a 405 or a 45 or a 55?
#45 - most common.

Cheers, Alf

Alf
IIRC, it's a blind pin. I believe the consensus in previous discussion (that, naturally, I can't find in The Porch archive) was that drilling out the pin is the only option - at the risk of trashing the woodwork.

So, you are saying that the wooden handle which seems to be one piece, with a slot in it, is placed over the frame (Glued??) and a pin is then driven through from one side only. Odd way to fix something I would have thought.
Regards
Martin

Back