New here

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6pac

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've just completed my registration here on UK workshop so thought I'd introduce myself. I'm new to working with wood (well apart from my cse in woodwork at school over 30 years ago) but I've recently taken voluntary redundancy and find I have some spare time to fill. I really enjoyed woodwork at school, it was my favourite subject but due to working shifts in the manufacturing industry I've never had time to use the skills I once enjoyed.
Now to the reason I found this website. I have this wall clock, I've owned it for over 20 years. It's a cheap plastic thing with a two quid movement but it's something that fits my decor and I've become quite attached to. Anyway, it recently stopped working and I searched for something similar but I can't find anything like it. It's a simple design so thought I'd have a go at making something that resembles it. Just thought I'd pop on here and brush up on my limited knowledge and hopefully get some tips.
So "hi"everyone, I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Best regards
Andy

Hello there, welcome, and good luck with the clock. We all rather like photos and Would love to see whatever you craft.

Fitz.

Amature wood butcher who likes to have a go at anything, if I can sketch it in sketch-up I think I should be able to make it, then lack of skills gets in the way.

Hi Fitz thanks for the welcome. :D
Is there a search function on the site? I just tried doing a search but it took me to a Google search (as opposed to a forum search) am I missing something obvious? :oops:

I don't want to ask questions that have been answered a thousand times before that's all. I'm sure I could become as irritating as thrush. :oops:

welcome.
if you ask a question that has already been asked (100% guaranteed) then someone will either answer it, or direct you to the relevant earlier post. The site is a bit weird regarding searches and stuff, I've been here almost 5 years and still cant work out all of it. But there a lot of very knowledgeable people here, ask away.

sunnybob":1po888s8 said:
welcome.
if you ask a question that has already been asked (100% guaranteed) then someone will either answer it, or direct you to the relevant earlier post. The site is a bit weird regarding searches and stuff, I've been here almost 5 years and still cant work out all of it. But there a lot of very knowledgeable people here, ask away.

As Galleywood mentions Bob, forum search is simple and works well.
Forget about the Google aspect of the search function, use the advanced option and you get this:

cyuWHp7.jpg

Fill in the blanks and you'll find what you want:

Vkt1EWl.jpg

Brilliant. Thanks guys, I've got it now. 8) . The search function only appears when you click on a thread, it doesn't show up on the index page. That's what was throwing me. Thanks again for the info. =D>

Welcome Andy! This forum is great. You will enjoy it and get a lot from it.
What did you used to do in your pre-redundancy life?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi Andy,
Welcome aboard.
You have come to a great forum, and the members here are a great crowd.
I too am a very new woodworker, and as such ask my fair share of questions, they have all been answered and I have never once been made to look or feel foolish.

The only advice I can offer is be prepared to actually work on your projects and you will find help in abundance, also try and share what you make by posting pictures after all a picture is worth a thousand words :D
Gary

6pac":2ztvozn3 said:
Brilliant. Thanks guys, I've got it now. 8) . The search function only appears when you click on a thread, it doesn't show up on the index page. That's what was throwing me. Thanks again for the info. =D>

Nope, it's there from the board index onwards:

I0Xjjrv.jpg

I’m browsing on my phone Noel so it’s a little different to your screenshot but you’re correct, it can be accessed from the index page. Thanks.

Attachments

• 9F3125CA-B56B-4494-8925-C4522C05CD37.png
    9F3125CA-B56B-4494-8925-C4522C05CD37.png
    460.6 KB · Views: 287
Indeed, just use the Hamburger menu icon.

sammy.se":od4mion9 said:
Welcome Andy! This forum is great. You will enjoy it and get a lot from it.
What did you used to do in your pre-redundancy life?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Hi sammy thanks for the welcome. :D
Early in my career I was a machanical engineer working lathes/milling machines etc but later moved into the manufacturing industry as a technician. (Really boring but it payed well.) What about you?

Garno":2l39fjkf said:
Hi Andy,
Welcome aboard.
You have come to a great forum, and the members here are a great crowd.
I too am a very new woodworker, and as such ask my fair share of questions, they have all been answered and I have never once been made to look or feel foolish.

The only advice I can offer is be prepared to actually work on your projects and you will find help in abundance, also try and share what you make by posting pictures after all a picture is worth a thousand words :D
Gary
Nice one Gary, I’ll keep that in mind (we need a thumbs up smilie btw)
Here’s my cheepo plastic clock that I intend to recreate. I think I’m going to need some guidance on the curve at the top. Not sure how to go about this. Steam and bend the wood maybe? (We also need a “shrugs shoulders” smilie lol)

Oops. Forgot the pic :oops:

Attachments

• 58354132-A200-47B1-BA9D-68292B759686.jpeg
    58354132-A200-47B1-BA9D-68292B759686.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 110
Back