New gouge is fab!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
i dont know how i managed without one!
got a new gouge for my birthday :mrgreen: (how did she know?) a 3/8 superflute bowl gouge
http://www.peterchild.co.uk/osc/38-supe ... -p-79.html
and i cannot believe the difference compared to my existing tools, which are the sorby and record power 'starter sets', so not cheap rubbish but still...
my first impression was 'bloomin eck thats big! but it just feels right. really comfortable to hold and use, and whats more it works a treat, i didnt know i could make such smooth cuts! It goes exactly where i aim it and the cut is effortless.
i dont know if its down to the grind (done by someone that knows what theyre doing, Thankyou..), the size of the tool and its inherent strength or just sheer quality of the gouge.

So a big thanks to those here on the forum that suggested (and seconded) i buy one, suggested a suitable grind for what i wanted it to do, and esp. to the Gentleman that ground it for me. Cheers =D>

the parallels with fishing rods, golf clubs, etc are huge - you end up going back to the quality stuff over and over again (even to the extent of compromising on the nature of the tool you need for a job!)

enjoy

chrisbaker42":xyzmgyvl said:
Glad you are enjoying it, what profile grind did you go for in the end?

I went for the 'Findley' grind :wink: ground to about 65deg with the heel of the bevel ground back, shortening the bevel by about half.
Although i must confess its now not as neat as it was when i first got it :oops: i need to relocate my grinder as i dont have the proper clearance for a full 'swing' whilst grinding. i now realise where i was going wrong with my profiling.
as much as i like to work things out myself, sometimes its nice to have somebody show you how it should be done :)

Told you it was a good grind Nev!! :D :wink: :wink: Now all you've got to do is learn to maintain it!!

Every student that has come to me to learn more about bowl turning has, after using my gouge, asked me to sharpen their's the same way. Glad you like it too!

I hope you found the info I put in with it useful as well :D

Cheers

Richard

nev":2yto88hd said:
chrisbaker42":2yto88hd said:

I went for the 'Findley' grind :wink: ground to about 65deg with the heel of the bevel ground back, shortening the bevel by about half.

Any chance of a pic. of the "Findley grind"? I think that I can visualise it, but a picture paints a thousand words (approx.)

Cheers
Aled

We should have a gallery of grinds !!!

I'd like to see the Findley ! -

I have my main bowl gouge with the "Andrew Hall" grind from my,masterclass a few weeks, back, and my round scrapers all have the "Averly"

chrisbaker42":34sg8zr1 said:
I think the gallery of the best grinds would be a great addition to the site.

I agree entirely and my tuppence worth would be to have it added into the "sticky" section

There are certain things that come up repeatedly and would make a handy reference library and this would be prominent on the list of things I would recommend to go in it

Aled Dafis":1yrxzdfe said:
nev":1yrxzdfe said:
chrisbaker42":1yrxzdfe said:

Any chance of a pic. of the "Findley grind"? I think that I can visualise it, but a picture paints a thousand words (approx.)

Cheers
Aled

once ive remounted my grinder and ...er tidied it up a bit i will post a pic. unless of course Richard, who hasnt much to this weekend anyway :wink: , beats me to it :D

chrisbaker42":7srtvi8b said:
I think the gallery of the best grinds would be a great addition to the site.

Most definitely, along with a description of how they're achieved. Angles? Jig? Settings? etc.

This would be most useful for beginners, but even old dogs can learn some new tricks.

Cheers
Aled

my first creation, using my new gouge :)
pot pourri pot.JPG

little maple pot ,no polish, just 320 to 600 then micromesh pads. Someones getting it for xmas :)

Attachments

• pot pourri pot.JPG
    pot pourri pot.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 433
nev":1r13tjco said:
little maple pot ,no polish, just 320 to 600 then micromesh pads. Someones getting it for xmas :)

very good =D> - but where's the gouge/grind picture?!? #-o

:D

jumps":fa7ot5xp said:
nev":fa7ot5xp said:

very good =D> - but where's the gouge/grind picture?!? #-o

:D

I thought seeing as it has richards name attached to it, i should leave it to him to post a pic as i've already adulterated mine #-o :oops:

Back