New Goodwoodworking - First Impressions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Just found my subscription copy of the new format Goodwoodworking in my postbox - I've only had a quick flick through it so far but what can I say - Damn! - looks good - hearty congrats to all at GWW - superb job - even the mini projects & the turning stuff (which dont normally light my fire) look way more interesting than before. The whole visual layout looks good too.

The only downside I can see is that they seem to have killed the GWW website - all the old URLs seem to either be 'Not Found' or end up at the myfavouritemagazines subscription page - perhaps there'll be something in the mag when I read it in more detail - or perhaps not, maybe it'll just be quietly ignored - shame.

Richard

tibbs":2etg9qac said:
The only downside I can see is that they seem to have killed the GWW website
That died the death some months ago. As for the new look; I'll restrain myself until more people have had a chance to form their own opinion first.

Cheers, Alf

I got mine yesterday

Chalk and cheese.

The new format is so much better than the old that I cannot thin of words to adequately express my impression of the changes.

Maybe the fact that I may now consider renewing my subscription whereas before I barely read any of the mag will show how I feel about the improvement.

Well done all at GWW.

Thanks to everyone who has commented about Good Wood's new look. Everyone has worked really hard on this, and I've been particularly impressed by the commitment of Pete, Andy, Phil, Jan and Ollie to new ideas having worked for so many years on the mag.

I would dearly love to get the website up and running, and have loads of ideas of how it can be used creatively, but for the moment the accountants won't give me the resources. Watch this space.

This is just the beginnning, very much work in progress. I haven't had so much fun editing a magazine since we launched Good Wood all those years ago.

Please keep sending me comments, especially of how we might be able to make further improvements. It's on sale on Wedesday, I hope.

Nick (Gibbs)

I forgot to mention in my previous message that I'm editor of Good Wood (just in case you don't know).

I also forgot to mention the absolutely enormous contribution of Christian Day, our Senior Art Editor, who has come up with so many of the great visual ideas and has worked his socks off. Steve Bradley , our new Managing Editor, doesn't wear socks often, but has also been superb, and we must also thank all the contributors for their efforts and patience.

Thanks

Nick Gibbs
Editor, Good Woodworking

I would give the new look magazine the thumbs up.

My only complaint is that the private sales ads. were few in number, I always turned to that page first when opening the magazine in the past.

I would rather more space was alloted even if they were one line adverts with contact number and letting the vendor/purchaser do the spiel.

I'm not sure why there were fewer reader ads than normal, but we can only publish what we receive! I'm sure we have done so.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

Nick (Gibbs)
Editor, Good Woodworking

Looks as if I'm the first to have a negative view of the new look GWW. My first impressions were of how short the items are and in many cases very simplistic. I thought that the previous issues had established a well deserved reputation for clarity and quality. I don't think it was broken so why has it been 'fixed'?

Cheers, David

Ham":14ohgxwb said:
My first impressions were of how short the items are and in many cases very simplistic. I thought that the previous issues had established a well deserved reputation for clarity and quality. I don't think it was broken so why has it been 'fixed'?

I tend to agree with David. I am more interested in general woodworking, but this months mag seem to have more skew chisels and ads for such than anything else. How to make a spinning wheel a two part project does not keep me interested.

Les

Seemed fine to me, I wouldn't say the content was any better or worse.
Maybe a "fresher" layout/appearance.
I think it's a good mag anyway!
John

"A new broom sweeps clean" so the saying goes. But I am not particularly impressed and echo David's views. Too many short 'bits' and not enough in-depth articles and much of the layout IMO seems quite 'untidy'.

I don't want FREE! 3 Exclusive catalogues with my mag. I ask for any catalogues that I want and I am sure, like many others, already have the Rutlands 2005 book. So those are in the bin ready for the paper bank, along with the poster which I have no inclination to hang on my workshop wall, nor do I have the space to do so. (I receive enough junk mail already without GWW adding to it!).

Overall I prefered the 'unfixed' version and don't see any improvement in the new one but time will tell.

Cheers,

Trev.

I wondered what words to use to describe the "new" GW.

The new layout seems fiddly, too many short bits, not enough "making" details in the larger articles. The graphic design seems at first bewildering and more about the graphic design than woodwork.

All in all not a real improvement. The "old" GW was as good.

A clear case of needing more content, better design, more mould breaking and less bloody accountants.

Displaying my age here no doubt but:-

I prefer a much more formal look to magazines I read. I like black text on a white background and I detest text that nearly disappears into a coloured background. I hate stuff where the editor sems to have discovered colours and fonts for the first time. I like rectangular sidebars that don't scream at me but instead nicely complement the general text.

However, this is all about layout and arty farty stuff. I think the content was pretty good (after all I wrote a very small part of it!) and I am glad that the tendency to think of witty or half witted punning titles for articles has been abandoned - they were a pet peeve of mine.

Ham":euackv22 said:
I don't think it was broken so why has it been 'fixed'?

Cheers, David

Oh, I think it was very broken and desperately required fixing - something that has started and will hopefully continue as the new magazine is developed over the coming months

Thanks to all the contributors in this thread. The new design for Good Wood aims to be busy, to give value for money and more for readers to return to. I'm glad to see that one or two people have picked that up.

That said there are areas where we plan to simplify the look and make it less fiddly. Some things just didn't work as well as we hoped.

We also see a need to bring new, aspiring woodworkers to the market, and give woodworking magazines some of the qualities you find in other arenas, while retaining the essential characteristics that make them useful and interesting.

I register the concerns about coloured boxes. I've heard that one for as long as I've edited magazines, but it's still valid and we will watch out for that and do what we can.

We welcome your feedback, and especially your support, and hope we can keep improving the mag. Woodworking will be the loser if we fail.

Nick

Howdie Nick Gibbs. I used to enjoy your magazine a few years back here in the
States. I was following a series by John Brown on building windsor chairs using only
hand tools. Halfway through the series it was no longer available at any of the
bookstores in my area. I did searches online to try to obtain a subcription but to
no avail. Is it no longer available in the States ? Also, John Brown had said he
planned to write a book on the subject of building these chairs . Has it come out
in GB. Been lurking this forum and thoroughly enjoy the tool reviews, advice and
good humour. Thanks much

Hi Javier

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question but you might want to look up Peter Hindle at Ashem Crafts. They run various chairmaking courses in the UK, including Windsor chairs, but also run some in the US.

www.ashemcrafts.com

HTH

Cheers
Neil

Hi Nick

Let me preface this by saying that I was very much looking forward to seeing the new GWW and I hope that you take my comments as constructive.

As the heading of the thread says, these are very much my first impressions.

During the second half of last year the magazine was full of excellent projects that were clearly explained and were very well thought of on this forum. In comparison, this year has been poor.

Might I start by suggesting that your front cover features a picture of one of the projects. Have a look at Practical Woodworking August 2005 or PWW June 2005 to see which is more attractive to the in-store purchaser.

Nick Gibbs":341pcx0a said:
The new design for Good Wood aims to be busy

You've certainly succeeded in that. Personally, I think you've over-egged the pudding.

...to give value for money and more for readers to return to.

Admirable qualities to strive for in a magazine.

That said there are areas where we plan to simplify the look and make it less fiddly. Some things just didn't work as well as we hoped.

Err, right.

We also see a need to bring new, aspiring woodworkers to the market, and give woodworking magazines some of the qualities you find in other arenas, while retaining the essential characteristics that make them useful and interesting.

As someone new to woodworking I am particularly interested in this area. I thought you had made some good moves but there was neither depth, nor clarity, to quite a number of the articles.

Give a copy of page 9 to someone who knows nothing about turning and ask them how long it takes to have any idea about what a thread chaser does. Perhaps it's just me, but I'm still unsure.

We welcome your feedback, and especially your support, and hope we can keep improving the mag. Woodworking will be the loser if we fail.

Personally, I felt that too much space was taken up with articles about books and woodland. Out of one hundred pages, I counted twenty three pages that held my interest.

Why are the typical prices that you quote so far away from the real world? Looking at your ROS test I might be tempted by the Festool as, I know it has an excellent reputation and, it was only 55 pounds more than the Metabo. But hold on, isn't that the same Metabo that I can buy for one hundred and seventy five pounds less than the Festool and also get one or two Bessey clamps thrown in as well?

Good luck. I sincerely hope that you succeed.

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back