New Goodwoodworking - First Impressions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Traewerk

John Brown was not 'Jester'; you're putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. I suspect that those of us who know what became of Jester would thank you for not pursuing the matter any further. Let the past be the past.

Gill

Nice one, guys. :roll: The aura of mystery you've just created would have impressed Hitchcock. ](*,) :lol:

But seriously, perhaps better to put this one to bed properly. Traewerk, I know it wasn't John Brown 'cos it was my nickname at the time. But I'm flattered to have been mistaken for one of my handtooling heroes. :D

Cheers, Alf

Who's just realised she's going to hit exactly two years since her first post with this nickname tomorrow! :shock: Time for a new one...? :-k :wink:

Nah, John Brown was from one of the Rhondda Valleys .
Jester was from the smoke.

Who's just realised she's going to hit exactly two years since her first post with this nickname tomorrow! Time for a new one...?

Umph, newbies

Oh btw whats all these avators with Long John Silver on :lol: :wink:

Sawdust Producer":110ssovc said:
whats all these avators with Long John Silver on
Name a heroic famous Welsh sailor :twisted: ;) :)
pirate.gif

Gill

Sawdust Producer":2m4lr0a1 said:
As long its not talk like a Pirate week :? :wink:
Luckily we missed it this year. Although I saw at the Falmouth Oyster* Festival that the Jubilee Sailing Trust are trying out a "Wear an Eyepatch Day". Works better in real life than online though...
pirate.gif

Cheers, Alf

* I was misinformed. I thought I'd see something veneered in Laburnham. Turned out they meant things in shells. :roll:

Hmmmm.... Captain Morgan was the one that sprang to my mind, too. Definitely a colourful character who pursued a successful career, but a hero? That's debatable. After all, he died in his bed, didn't he?

I always thought a British hero had to be:

• 1. Reckless enough to get himself hopelessly outnumbered in a scrape; and,
    2. Good enough to do better than seemed par for the course; and,
    3. Opportunely posthumous.

So Nelson* and Wolfe were heroes, whereas Wellington wasn't.

;)

Gill

* Edited to correct silly mistake pointed out later in this thread :oops:

Gill":2bf5tvll said:
Hmmmm.... Captain Morgan was the one that sprang to my mind, too. Definitely a colourful character who pursued a successful career, but a hero? That's debatable. After all, he died in his bed, didn't he?
Good rum, though...

Gill":2bf5tvll said:
I always thought a British hero had to be:

• 1. Reckless enough to get himself hopelessly outnumbered a scrape; and,
    2. Good enough to do better than seemed par for the course; and,
    3. Opportunely posthumous.

So Wellington and Wolfe were heroes, whereas Wellington wasn't.
Nelson and Wolfe mebbe? :) Nosey was a hero, no question. He just didn't court the publicity like Nel, and he wasn't loved by his men as Nelson was. Dammit, he met the greatest general at Waterloo and managed to hold out. He knew what he was good at, and he used it to fine effect. If he had a weakness it was impatience - particularly in seige situations, which often lead to unnecessary bloodshed. In an era of heroes, he was certainly one.

Sorry, you've got me on a subject a bit close to my heart. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for pointing out my error, Alf. Duly amended now :) .

Wellington was undoubtedly very successful but I don't think you can compare him to the likes of Nelson, Wolfe, Grenville or even H Jones. I regard him as a great man, but not necessarily a heroic one. And he certainly wasn't loved by the public, especially after he became Prime Minister. He was never forgiven for what happened at St Peter's Field in Manchester, even if it wasn't his fault.

Errr.... sorry to have have veered so hopelessly off topic (again :roll:) . Perhaps a Moderator could remove some of these posts into the "Off-Topic" section?

Gill

PS Wanna scrollsaw portrait pattern of Nelson? I'm sure I could knock one up of Wellington too, if you want. Your Delta saw must be feeling a bit unloved right now - go on, give it a treat ;) :) .

Well I for one am a big fan of a 52 gun salute. Did you see it on the box.

Magic

Cheers

Tim

Wasn't it impressive, Tim? No wonder the "Redoubtable" couldn't withstand the barrage.

And as Alf's pointed out - "Victory", like others in the fleet, was made by British woodworkers out of British oak. Kinda makes you feel proud.

Gill

Gill":3cx1913x said:
Errr.... sorry to have have veered so hopelessly off topic (again :roll:) . Perhaps a Moderator could remove some of these posts into the "Off-Topic" section?
Wouldn't know where to start, to be honest. The last two pages are all off topic - but different topics... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Gill":28x95f37 said:
And as Alf's pointed out - "Victory", like others in the fleet, was made by British woodworkers out of British oak. Kinda makes you feel proud.

Indeed - apart from the ones captured and renamed! It was a great moment - wish I could have been there.

Cheers

Tim

Back