New Garage / workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have read loads on here that is really useful, though I am not sure if I read anywhere the answer to my question. Apologies if I am going over old ground.

We are planning an extension on back of house and at same time replacing slowly dying timber garage (I mean workshop) with a brick one. No plans to put a car in it, though it will be big enough, for future selling.

Is it worth making it cavity wall and insulating, or is this just OTT?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg

Many people these days convert their garage into part of the living space e.g. an extra bedroom/ granny flat. If you did make it a cavity wall then this would help to sell to people considering this. However it will be more expensive to build it that way so make sure the future return will be there. I suppose extensions are like tools and you get the best one you can afford.

Of course keeping warm and looking after your tools might be your only goals in which case do it.

Personally having had both non-cavity & cavity workshops, I would definitely go for the cavity option if you can afford it.

& as has been pointed out a cavity wall garage can be easily converted to living space, which can only be a bonus when selling in the future

Elapid and Doug
Thanks v much for your advice - looks like it's cavity and insulation. Best be nice to the missus! - Maybe tell her I'll sleep out there after long evening.
Greg

Back