New Front Door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imageel

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for advice as I need to replace my current front door, here are my thoughts -

Material - Oak or Sapele - issue is the bottom 3rd will get exposed to the elements as we get strong winds that carries the rain under the porch, so was thinking maybe Sapele over oak and using Osmo UV oil or similar to provide some sort of protection.
If I go oak then I deduce it's better to leave it naked and accept that it will weather to silver over the years.

Construction - I have some machine tools, but not large enough to for example raise panels, can anyone point me at techniques to do this with hand tools? I can see how to raise a panel, but getting the edges square to slide into the rebate is eluding me...
Any advice/opinions gratefully received
Ed

imageel":3ah300o7 said:
Construction - I have some machine tools, but not large enough to for example raise panels, can anyone point me at techniques to do this with hand tools? I can see how to raise a panel, but getting the edges square to slide into the rebate is eluding me...
Any advice/opinions gratefully received
Ed

Read here for a succinct description - http://www.archive.org/stream/cassellscarpentr00hasl#page/472/mode/2up - you plough the margin of the raised part, and the edges where they will go into the grooves, then plane away the wood in between. Quite easily said; lots of fun to do!

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

You don't say whereabouts you are. There may be a friendly forum member near you who may be able to assist.
I have made doors, but always use a router table or spindle moulder to raise panels. I must confess to never making a raised panel without electrickery.
There are, however, some learned fellows amongst us who will be along shortly to tell us both how easy it is.

Neil

If I might offer a couple of alternative ideas to making raised panels by hand:

1) Buy a cheap router and panel raising bits and knock together a quick router table (do NOT try and rout it free hand).
2) Machine up your stock and find a friendly cabinet maker who will raise your panels on his spindle moulder for a few beer tokens.
3) Come up with a design that doesn't require raised panels.

Clearly it's possible to do by hand but I have a feeling it's one of those jobs that requires a considerable amount of practice to get right.

Or suggestion no 4 - a nice old door from a reclamation yard, right for the period of the house, from a time when joiners made six raised panels before breakfast, and use your woody skills to get it fitted properly - which is a job in itself, whether you make the door from scratch or not.

Thanks guys for the advice, the house is a labor of love so I might go for a complete handcrafted one.... I'll be sure to document it and post a WIP if I do... :?
Thanks everyone
Ed

Hi imageel,
Ive made loads of doors in sapele and oak doors.

- Easiest way is to use a spindle moulder for the panels, all good joiners shops should have a spindle block for the job should take them less than a hour to set the spindle and run your panels through.. Depending on the width of the panels you'll probably have to joint them- a loose tongue system with a good quality P.U.R glue is how we do it (no problems to date)

-If you decide on oak, use european kiln dried not american (this is for internal work). Oak moves more than any other timber i use, that includes redwood, why everybody wants external windows and doors making out of the stuff is beyond me.
Definatly use a stain/varnish on it prior to fitting or it will go black not silver or any other pretty colour just mucky horrible black give it plenty of coats before fitting including behind the hinges letterplate and in the lock mortise.

Back