New forum format

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting there, thanks. I have started to get my sense of taste back and I am allowed to now go out and so, off to the the local timberline tomorrow to see if i can get some nice bits of tree to make a Roman low bench for use at home with handtools to make some window/wall boxes

hope all is good with you

I can assure the people that have “followed” me that I’m very much not worth following! 😂

On a side note, what does that even mean? People will be notified when I post or what?

Here is what it means to "follow":

1597350286425.png

Here is what it means to "follow":

View attachment 90228

And then what happens please Angie?

So I've selected a name to "Follow" and that name appears in my "Your News Feed" (is that correct)? So said name does something, for example, e.g. makes a new post, or answers one of mine. IF (and I'm just guessing) I get a notification saying the entered name has made a new post (or answered one of mine), A) how will I be notified, and B) what's the difference between that and:

"What's new"
"New posts"
and
The little bell-shaped thingy over on the RH side of the header
and
The E-mail I get in my E-mails in box saying there's a new post (etc, etc).

????

I'm sorry if these are really basic questions, and most probably just tedious for you to answer Angie, but I've never experienced anything like this many "options" before.

In that respect, although this new software is obviously miles better than the last we were all used to, in at least some aspects, all the above (apparently same/very similar "options") are just confusing me (NOT hard to do I assure you)!

Has this software got any sort of on line Help or something - perhaps a "How to" tutorial?

TIA for any help/illumination here.

When it happens, you get a message telling you that"so-and-so is following you". It's really quite creepy!

:) Look behind you Steve. I'm there. I'm in the shadows, watching your every move.

Actually, I "followed" 8 or 10 of the more prominent posters here mainly to see what happens, and so far.......

.......nothing. I hate those pop-ups which they seemed so keen for us to enable, so they're disabled, and maybe that's why following someone and not following someone seems, at the moment, to amount to precisely the same thing.

When it comes to options on a computer, I use the same principle as electronic circuit designers; Delete everything one at a time until it stops working, and then just reinstall that item :p

When it comes to options on a computer, I use the same principle as electronic circuit designers; Delete everything one at a time until it stops working, and then just reinstall that item :p
Like a Dr friend who says his motto is "if in doubt, cut it out and swear it wasn't there".

Oh, nasty (and not cheap either), sorry. Being serious for a minute, one of the things I have yet to fully learn is not to go too far/spend too much time/money trying to over-egg the pudding. It'll never be a "proper, big" lathe - not even a Myford. But I DID know that before I started.
To be honest, now that's it's dialled in pretty well (though I still have more mods to do) it's a good little lathe. Milling may be a different story, granted, but in time it might be OK.

If Tapatalk isn't an option could we please either move / duplicate the "Mark all read" button to / at the bottom of a post list? Having it at the top (e.g. here New posts) means you have to scroll back up to the top of the page to access it. I know numerous forums that have it at the top and I've yet to understand why... it's one of the reasons for using Tapatalk as this functionality is always in the same place :geek:

Tapatalk doesn't seem to like this one any more, that's for sure. Or is it just my version of tapatalk? 🤷‍♂️ << Though we do seem to get emoji now >>😆<<

it’s not working for me either on Tapatalk pro, and that’s where I use the forum from 99.9% of the time, is there a plan to get it working ?! Really hope so as I find this forum invaluable

@sploo, how often do you feel you could do with a longer bed? I mean do you wish you had got a 7x14 or an 8x16 or 20 for instance?

Getting there, thanks. I have started to get my sense of taste back and I am allowed to now go out and so, off to the the local timberline tomorrow to see if i can get some nice bits of tree to make a Roman low bench for use at home with handtools to make some window/wall boxes

hope all is good with you

Glad to hear that mate. I should think loss of taste must be pretty disturbing. Keep getting better mate. And we're both fine here thanks. Wishing you a good time with your Roman bench

@sploo, how often do you feel you could do with a longer bed? I mean do you wish you had got a 7x14 or an 8x16 or 20 for instance?
I suspect it totally depends on your use case. Occasionally the short bed is a pain when you need a long drill bit in a chuck in the tailstock; but often I'll have stock that's thinner than the headstock bore so I can get away with little stickout from the chuck/collet.

I've turned a ~15cm diameter disc; which was pushing it on this lathe, so right now a 10x12 lathe (should such a thing exist) would be useful!

I didnt quite get that in the right order. The electronic designers make a brilliant circuit. Then the bean counters remove pieces at a time to reduce cost.:cool:

Tapatalk is not connected to this forum now. There have found to be security issue with it. You can use your favorite mobile browser and type in the forum address. Then save to desktop. This is a pop up on the bottom of the screen when you first log in. Once you have saved to desktop you can find an icon, click on it and come directly to the forum. It will be fully functioning. You may want to check it out in landscape rather than portrait orientation.

The mark read button. I'll see what the possibility of that is. When looking at a thread on mobile browser there is an arrow on the bottom right that can be tapped and it will go to the top.

Back