New forum format

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I owned a vBulletin forum, I considered adding Tapatalk because vB was not mobile friendly. Then I learned that TapaTalk required too much from me, in terms of database access, that I abandoned the idea. As I was planning the migration to XenForo, this became a moot point since XF has a responsive feature for nearly all mobile devices.

For those who miss TapaTalk, give the new format a chance before you hurl your phone into the lake.

Are there any forum apps that are compatible with the new forum system, like how Tapatalk is compatible with some forums? Many thanks.

Please go to your preferred mobile browser and type in the forum address.
Bring up the forum and then save to desktop. There is usually a pop up on the bottom to remind you to do that.
This brings an icon on your phone or tablet desktop. Then you can just tap that and get to the forum and have full forum use.

The site's not working properly for me - I got in eventually yesterday evening, then this morning was fine til I went again to the home page and got this:
(don't even know if that attachment has worked - it reads 'This Board is Currently Disabled')
I've used the navigator button to get back here but still can't get back to the forum home page.
I closed and re-opened the browser, same thing; I rebooted the computer, same.
Not sure there's any point in me posting this as I may not see replies once I leave this thread. Hope you're all coping without my input.

ETA - it comes and goes, weird.
It sounds rather as if you need to clear your cache. Close your browser, restart your computer usually does it. If not you may need to clear your browser history. Hope this helps, if you ever read it!

@MusicMan if he does not read it the changes should flow down to the old settings in a couple of days, but I do hope he does as you indicated.

Many thanks for replying, MusicMan. As the day went on it sorted itself out and all seems to be functioning fine now.
C

Please go to your preferred mobile browser and type in the forum address.
Bring up the forum and then save to desktop. There is usually a pop up on the bottom to remind you to do that.
This brings an icon on your phone or tablet desktop. Then you can just tap that and get to the forum and have full forum use.

As an aside for anyone who hasn't tried it, the new forum software works much, much better now on mobile. 👍

I can assure the people that have “followed” me that I’m very much not worth following! 😂

On a side note, what does that even mean? People will be notified when I post or what?

I can assure the people that have “followed” me that I’m very much not worth following! 😂

On a side note, what does that even mean? People will be notified when I post or what?

Funnily enough Trevanion I've just had the same happen to me - like you I wonder what it's all about, and why, etc, so sent a PM (sorry "Conversation") to "the perpetrator" and am currently awaiting an answer. I'll advise when answered (IF the answer is repeatable on a family show)! :)

Cheers

(considering following you both, just to appear a bit creepy 😁 )

@ sloo: "... just to appear creepy"????????????? (Anyone who messes around trying to turn a pig's ear Chinese Mini Lathe into a silk purse something or other MUST be more than just a bit creepy - as I well know mate)!

@ sloo: "... just to appear creepy"????????????? (Anyone who messes around trying to turn a pig's ear Chinese Mini Lathe into a silk purse something or other MUST be more than just a bit creepy - as I well know mate)!
I like to think of it more as hope over expectation. Mostly the hope I won't break another brand new solid carbide endmill due to the machine's lack of rigidity :oops:

I like to think of it more as hope over expectation. Mostly the hope I won't break another brand new solid carbide endmill due to the machine's lack of rigidity :oops:

Oh, nasty (and not cheap either), sorry. Being serious for a minute, one of the things I have yet to fully learn is not to go too far/spend too much time/money trying to over-egg the pudding. It'll never be a "proper, big" lathe - not even a Myford. But I DID know that before I started.

ooh sploo
can I ask which one you got - make and size.

AES, would have thought you would have been able to get a Schaublin 13 for a good price

Too late mate. I looked & looked (in SH of course) for a long time & found nothing. Then one day when I was in the local "Coop Bau n Hobby" I saw this Chinese Mini (complete with Einhell badge). That alone should have put me off, but I'd just finished a good long-term project (this was back in 2005 or so I think) and since then "I've never looked back" (as they say) - but scarcely forwards either!! Seriously though, for the price it's not too bad - as I said to sploo just today, it's largely a question of me knowing/learning where/when to apply the brakes on modding it - it is NOT a Schaubline (as you suggest) and it never will be.

Cheers (are you well/recovering?)

Guys i am on a few forums and have been using them for over 10 years and you will find most ask now if you want to support the costs of running the servers which supports the forum running costs.Like the new layout and more user friendly for sure.

Back