New forum format

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, Hey Jacob. Since when did they let you back?
It just happened. I sneak a look now and then and suddenly found I could log in under my other alias, but not as Jacob. I was trying to get in touch with chaoticbob about mortice chisels, with a useful tip which I posted up on that thread if you have a look. I don't think this new set-up is very good. Nothing beats plain phpBB, which we had until Charley decided to "redesign" it and now it's another dubious "redesign".

It just happened. I sneak a look now and then and suddenly found I could log in under my other alias, but not as Jacob. I was trying to get in touch with chaoticbob about mortice chisels, with a useful tip which I posted up on that thread if you have a look. I don't think this new set-up is very good. Nothing beats plain phpBB, which we had until Charley decided to "redesign" it and now it's another dubious "redesign".

Your Jacob account looks in good condition. Is it a password issue?

Your Jacob account looks in good condition. Is it a password issue?
It doesn't recognise my email or anything. It was heavily tampered with by mods earlier this year, for reasons of their own.

Maybe I can look into it in a couple of days when things settle down some.

That's an interesting way to say it was banned :LOL:
Actually they didn't even have the grace to say that I was banned they just messed up my log-in and edited my account details. All a bit infantile really.

I think this new forum version is no longer compatible with the Tapatalk app - is that correct?
That's a shame... but to be honest, more and more forums are no longer compatible
Not working for me either.
Is there an alternative that does work?

The site's not working properly for me - I got in eventually yesterday evening, then this morning was fine til I went again to the home page and got this:
(don't even know if that attachment has worked - it reads 'This Board is Currently Disabled')
I've used the navigator button to get back here but still can't get back to the forum home page.
I closed and re-opened the browser, same thing; I rebooted the computer, same.
Not sure there's any point in me posting this as I may not see replies once I leave this thread. Hope you're all coping without my input.

ETA - it comes and goes, weird.

Last edited:
They are asking if they can send notifications to your computer rather than you having to visit the site to see whether you've had a reply on a thread etc. If you do choose to do it, you can turn it off later

I can understand
They are asking if they can send notifications to your computer rather than you having to visit the site to see whether you've had a reply on a thread etc. If you do choose to do it, you can turn it off later

I sort of know what this means. I already allow the Met Office to send me push notifications on my phone for weather warnings, for example. I can skim through the Wikipedia article on push, but I am not really left any the wiser.

We still have the option of notifications by email. But maybe some of the forum's tech experts can help.

Are push notifications there mainly for people who think email is too old fashioned?
Are there any big advantages / disadvantages on a mobile?
Are there any big advantages / disadvantages on a PC?

Incidentally, I see that email notifications can include all the text and pictures from the post, negating the need to visit the site to read a new post.

Incidentally, I see that email notifications can include all the text and pictures from the post, negating the need to visit the site to read a new post.

Assuming it's the same as the MIG welding forum, that's true BUT you'll only get an email notification for the first message. You have to visit the site (and possibly the thread) for the notifications to start again.

Push is really just another way of recieving notification. If you look under your preferences it is highly configurable between recieving email and/or push notifications to a specific device. I'm not sure its easy to state the advantages/disadvantages as different people have different expectations. One thing I notice from other sites is that sometimes you can be overwhelmed with notifications. In general I turn them off and visit the site when I choose. At the moment, I am surprised at the level of configuration the new owners have left open to us.

Jacob, you messaged the wrong Bob :cool:
Thanks for that! Surprised though I was following instructions I thought. Messaging half work then, which is worth knowing! PS checked - it WAS sent to chaoticbob according to my profile thing. Something not working.

Are there any forum apps that are compatible with the new forum system, like how Tapatalk is compatible with some forums? Many thanks.

My main way of accessing the forum was via Tapatalk but I can't log in via the Android app any more :( Is this a feature yet-to-come?

Are there any forum apps that are compatible with the new forum system, like how Tapatalk is compatible with some forums? Many thanks.
Tapatalk doesn't seem to like this one any more, that's for sure. Or is it just my version of tapatalk? 🤷‍♂️ << Though we do seem to get emoji now >>😆<<

Back