New forum format

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could we please have a few words of explanation about what happens when visiting the site on a mobile?

If I start by opening my browser and choosing a bookmark, I get a conventional browser window. It follows my preferences for font size and colours. I can have any number of tabs open and switch between them - which is essential to anyone looking up the answer to a question and posting a link to it in the reply.

But if I start from the forum shortcut on my home screen, it launches something different. It imposes its own dark blue colour scheme and has no tabs.

If I view all running apps, it shows up as a separate app, but it doesn't appear in the list of installed apps.
Screenshot_2020-08-11-11-12-36.jpg

Sort of interesting but not actually helpful. What's going on?

@mikeg,
It's a visual of woody2shoes name. IE a pair of Japanese bathhouse slippers, I think

Really liking the new look!

Also - who reads forums on mobile?! ... good lord. I'd rather wait until I am sat at a desktop. Although I must admit, I do post from my mobile as it's easier when you need to add images.

Also - who reads forums on mobile?! ... good lord. I'd rather wait until I am sat at a desktop. Although I must admit, I do post from my mobile as it's easier when you need to add images.
It's not just the kids who like their phones!

It would be interesting to see the stats but I'd bet that it's 50% +.

Looks tidy but this and the last one are both inferior to the plain unvarnished phpBB, in terms of function if not appearance

I can't find a preference for [new] posts to be listed first -- this is what I always used to have and I've spent over an hour looking through the [Preferences] and any other section that I thought it might have been hidden under :(

Though I have at least now added my Avatar!

The little lightning flash leads to new posts. Might be what you want.

As to the mods giving a heads up as to what is coming, they could not do it as they did not know. As to Charley doing it, I have not met him and do not know the circumstances. But please understand the mods are learning the new software and learning how the mod tools work.

Here is how the forum looks on android phone via Chrome.

Landscape view.

Screenshot_20200811-091649_Chrome.jpg

Portrait view
Screenshot_20200811-091630_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
If you have an old saved icon on your phone it will go to the old url and IP. You will need to clear that, then use your browser to type in the forum address. When it comes up there should be a pop up asking if you want to save to your device's desktop. If you say yes, it will create an icon for the forum. From now on you can click on that to get to the forum. You will have full function of the forum.

Looks tidy but this and the last one are both inferior to the plain unvarnished phpBB, in terms of function if not appearance

No idea what this means but it sounds good, I would of inserted a smiley face here but can't find them ...

But now from laptop is easy to add images. Have you tried it yet? Cut and paste, or use the Attach files button that will take you to your laptop's image storage area, choose one and upload.

Smileys
1597156822839.png
Try that button on your next post. Try it here.

Back