New (first) bandsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emstuv

Established Member
Reaction score
So I’m looking at getting a bandsaw. Primarily to be used for re-sawing, veneers etc. Don’t think I will be cutting many reindeers. Getting second hand i.e. Startrites are few and far between. Most second hand of smaller capacity and the lower end of quality (brands).

Based on that I figure that 200mm height should be adequate.

Budget is difficult as I live in Norway, but to give a comparison the Record BS350 is roughly the same price as the Ax At2552B. Other alternatives are Jet/Laguna (pricey), Holzmann & Schepach (no experience with either brands).

Is the difference between the BS350 Sabre and BS350/300 worth it? I read a previous post on the change in bearings.

How does AxM bandsaw rate against Record? I have the AC216TS, and quality control is lacking.

I have the axminster 350N which will "just" cut 200 mm.

There were minor issues at first, but on any new product nowadays you WILL get issues. (hammer)
Once those issues were resolved (not an enormous amount of effort required) I have been very happy with it. This is now the third year I have had it and it is used a LOT! =D> =D>

Cheers, after the AC216TS quality issues I have been a little wary of the Hobby/Craft stuff. Although their customer service is excellent.

The advantage with RP is that there is a local vendor where I live that carries a full RP line up. Axi will have to be ordered from the other side of the country, thereby further to resolve any issues.

Questions is the extra cash for the Sabre worth it for me a hobby user - with regards to the bearings (blade guides).

I ordered the craft one when it was released. I was Def not good. The tensioning system broke after few weeks. They sent some spare parts, which broke quickly after. I sent back the bandsaw and ordered the trade 2552.
Even though the depth of cut could be short at times, I'm very please with that bandsaw. Tension very well, tracking is very good (was a nightmare on the craft) and enough power to rip and resaw.
I definitely recommend the trade 2552.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Also, I'm definitely not convinced by the ceramic bearings. They generate quick some sparks and not sure they bring much more than ball bearing

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi all

Having purchased a Record BS400 I can say that the main differences between the Bs400/350 and the newer Sabre models are:

The Sabre has a "better fence" in that the rail covers the table from front to back but the engraved readout is not as clear as the earlier models. Personaly I do not like how the rail is only supported within the first half rather than at the extremities.

The table is all cast iron unlike the 400 that is partially sheet metal and the Sabre models have full size mitre slots not the narrow type as is common on metal working machines.

The blade support bearings are all bearings and not just metal disk. This subject is very debatable on which is better so cannot say which is preferable.

So whether the earlier models or the later Sabre model is better, depends on whether the cost can be justified but I reckon the Sabre will replace the earlier models. Also think whether to buy the Sabre or the Startrite if you are a heavy user.

My conclusion is the larger Sabre would have cost me an extra £400 and to buy the later fence system is £144 so add in the other differences, guide bearings and table with larger mitre slots and the difference is marginal.

Back