new era

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
last week-end it was a day in which I’m became as most of you : at the rate of the times. What do I mean , you could say? Since when I married, now it’s the time I have the telephone at home, the fixed phone not cellular. This means that now I have the broadband or ADSL as you want at home. It’s wonderful for me, you want for reading Ukworkshop forum at the afternoon after time work, or to find anything I need for me or for family. For the first time I have the computer at home. It’s another era. Next step will be to buy a digital camera.

A question please…. Which one camera do you use to photograph your beautiful jobs?

Many cheers
Gabriele :)

Gabriele,
with ADSL internet access at home it is very tempting to spend too much time on line.

For all my digital images I have a Nikon Coolpix2100 (2.1megapixels) which is ample for my needs. I think these days the coolpix range starts at 3.1 megapixels which is more than adequate for web sites and smaller photo printing.

It looks like this

Andy[/url]

Hi Gabriele,
Thanks for starting this thread 'cos I'm looking to get a decent camera as well. Please don't do what I did & buy a very cheap one thinking it'll get you started.

Mine was very very cheap, by mail order, & when I got it & read the instructions I found it didn't store the images when switched off :cry: So if I wanted to post some on the forum I'd have to take the picture & then run inside & get on line :!: :!:

I suppose I could've printed it & then scanned it when ready to go on line but that all seems a bit of a timewaster

Hi,
I thought to go on Canon Power shot a540 or so, but I don't know for now.
Let's say what other will say.

Cheers
Gabriele

You wont beat the Fuji S5000 series. 10x zoom lens, & 22 x digital lens.
video as well.
Mine is 4 years old and gone through 10000 photographs at least.

Do not stay on the computer too long in the evenings :wink:

Hi Geppetto,
You'll get even less woodwork done now!
:)

I have a Fuji Finepix S602 Pro Zoom and a Coolpix 4100. The former was very expensive about 3 years ago, but I've no regrets. It looks and feels like an SLR, but is easy to use and has enough flexibilty to do everything I've asked of it. THe only downside is that it DEVOURS batteries. I usually use it on 3M and they are good enough to be printed in GW, but it will take 6M.

The Coolpix is small, light and batteries last a long time. Great for holidays, when I don't want the bulk of my Fuji. Lots of presets. It's bugbear is that it is very slow between shots. I can't go snap-snap-snap. That can be a pain. It's worse since I bought a 1G SD card for it.

Happy with the output from both.

Cheers
Steve

Depends what else you'll do with it: the closest thing to a digital equivalent of a 'classic' SLR camera at the entry level is probably the Nikon D70s: instant power up, up to 5 frames a second, full range of controllability from 'beginner' to expert, and excellent quality. Not the cheapest option, but a truly great all-rounder. (Oh - and you can crash land 200 lbs of middle-aged bloke on it at 50 mph while skiing downhill, and skid about 100 yards, using it as a brake: brush off the snow, and it'll just carry on working... DAMHIKT.. :roll: Cracked a rib in the interests of market research...)

Hi guys,
many thansk for your advices, but I come from a past experience with a Reflex (Canon Eos 600) which with the time is became too much weight to transport in little holiday ( of one day)...therefore I use wife's compact camera. Certainly for quality photos color and black and white it's fantastic.
Now I seek a compact camera to transport with facility everywhere and everytime.

Cheers
Gabriele

I my case I bought a Sony Cybershot.

Small, compact, excellent photos -7.2 Mb.

The quality is fantastic for general use. You would have to reprocess photos for web page, but then you use Xview for this (best price it is free!)

Not for weddings I suppose but otherwise great!

:D

Hi Gabrielle

I have a good 5 megapixel camera that I used to use for photos that I posted on the forum. However, all of these photots needed resizing down to 640*480 for the forum pages to avoid very slow downloads.

I realised that this was overkill for the forum and now all of the photos I have posted in the last year were taken using my (free) mobile phone (Sony Erricson K750i with 2mega pixel camera). An example from my phone can be seen here
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10725

When posting to the web, the quality of the camera is to a large extent unimportant and even budget cameras will be better than my phone.

Of course, for general photography away from forum posts, the mobile phone camera is pretty useless and the 5 mega pixel is used :D

Hi Gabriele,
Just read your post and thought i would reply as i have just spent the past few weeks deliberating over a new camera purchase.
I looked at all the main brands and read all the reviews I could find on digital cameras. I also went into a number of shops to look at and play with the cameras I had shorlitsed
I finally decided on the Panasonic Lumix FZ7 as it suited my need perfectly, i.e. Quality lens. compact, full manual control as well as all the auto settings. large LCD panel, decent zoom, and easy to follow menus.
So far the camera hasn't disappointed at all although i'm still getting used to it. I spent the first week reading the instruction manual and I'm glad that i did.
One review site I used is : http://www.dpreview.com/
Found it very useful.
Good luck with the search.
beejay

Gabriele,

I bought my SWMBO a Canon A620 for Christmas, it is absolutely fantastic. - highly recomended, although not cheap.

I found this site http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/ an enormous help when trying to decide which one to get. The prices are in US Dollars, but the information is spot on and bang up to date.

Regards

Gary

PS - Congratulations on Italy's world cup win!

Another vote for the Fuji S5000 here. 8000 pictures to date and still going strong. I bought mine from Amazon.

Lee.

Back