New EB DH 330 portable thicknesser - Review needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at getting a portable thicknesser. So far thanks to the help of Neil and Noel I have a really thorough review of the Delta and Makita thicknessers. They used to be the only contenders for me until very recently!

A dealer in Dublin sells the EB DH330 at a really good price compare to the price you get in the UK. This makes me wonder. Are you being ripped off or is this really a good tool worth the UK price?

Does anyone have it, can you please comment on it?
If anyone has any reviews links please add them to this post.

Thanks in advance everyone :D

Hey CYC, personally I think you're mad but......

Doubt if you'll get much info on this. Think it was only introduced last year and EB were bit late getting to the bar. As far as I know this is just the usual clone, painted blue and a few EB stickers. Same story as the EB compressor and nail gun. Know nothing about performance but personally just because it is labelled EB would not make me buy it. Wouldn't bother if I were you. Delta or Makita or even the DeWally 733.

Rgds

Noel

Hi CYC,

Just had one in for review, (next issue, Good Woodworking 162, out mid May. plug plug... :D )
I thought it was superb, great features, the preset depth setting bit especially. Only gripe was slight snipe on both in and outfeed for about 50mm IIRC, but finer final passes minimised it, and to be honest, good technique should allow for wastage on stock when prepping timber rather than working dead lengths, so snipe shouldn't be a problem.
Finish was excellent as well, along with a fast feed speed so it will bang it through quick without detraction from the end product.

Hope this helps...

Andy

Hi Noel,

I thought the same as you when I first saw the pic, but its gone beyond the normal clones, a six position depth stop from 5-45mm in 5mm increments for repeat work, head lock, longer beds, fast feed speed, but still about 2.4 cuts per mm so finish is excellent, and a pre cut gauge to check how much it will take before making the commitment.
Build quility is good as well.
Looks like I've just condensed a review from our next issue and lost a few sales! :shock:

cheers,
Andy

Thanks very much Andy. This is really helping :D
I understand it has long beds, I am surprised you got noticeable snipes!

Thanks Andy, everyday is a school day. So CYC, I was totally in ignorance of the EB.

Rgds

Noel

Noel, I am going to go and see it in the flesh when I get a chance. They have the Delta there too at the same price so I will have a compare. I won't be able to run them as I know they don't do tests (booo) but with the knowledge of the Delta you gave me I'll have good grounds for a face off :wink:

CYC

where in dublin do they have these? I have loadss of spare time on my hands up this end of the country at the moment, and would'nt mind checking out some of the tool suppliers.

Les

CYC

I have the Delta. It is superb - the finish has no snipe or ripple at all.

Les,
Go to McQuillans Tools on Capel street (downstairs). Tell us what you thought of it.
They also have a second shop in the Blanchardstown shopping centre (or beside it). They should have it there too but not sure.
I don't know when I'll get a chance to go myself.

CYC

Tony, Noel thinks highly of it too and has given me complete details :lol:
It will be between this new EB or the Delta. Once I see them in the flesh :-k

Just an FYI to all who helped on this thread... I bought the EB thicknesser last friday. And of course my daughter wasn't too well this WE so I haven't used it yet.

It's really heavy though :!: :D

I'll try to make a review of this tool later.

i bought eb dh330 seems good to me but then its my first thicknesser so not really qualified yet to give advice but heres what i think:

fairly easy to set up
heavy but robust well made is what i think
infeed/outfeed tables seem strong so shouldnt flex
easy adjustments and settings for repetative work
imho very good finish
slight snipe if you take of too much 0.1mm i measured and only 30 - 50mm from ends but i havent set my infeed/outfeed table perfectly true yet.
all in all for £280 inc delivery very good buy

Well I didn't get a big use of it yet.
It's planing fine :wink:

I have run Oak and Pine in it and it all comes out smooth. The presets are not great and are in imperial for some reason! For a machine made in Germany. I need to take more time with it, I plan to have it on a stand to use it better. So far I take it out when I need it and don't spend much time setting it up.

I am very happy with it so far... Heavy and solid.

Back