New e mail scam warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Burgess

Established Member
Reaction score
There is an e mail being sent out in Ebay's name (similar to the ones that come from the bank scam) that Ebay wants your debit/bank card details to help prevent goods being paid with false/stolen credit cards. Be warned!

Yeah

I keep getting fake ebay receipts telling me that I have spent $1990 on some sex aid or other. The ebay logo is a very poor quality rip-off and I am insulted that they think I'm dumb enough to fall for it

Tony":ztqulylc said:
Yeah

I keep getting fake ebay receipts telling me that I have spent $1990 on some sex aid or other. The ebay logo is a very poor quality rip-off and I am insulted that they think I'm dumb enough to fall for it
Dear valued eBay® member,

Due to recent auction fraud, we have issued the following security requirements.

It has come to our attion that 95% of all fraudulent auctions are caused by members using stolen credit cards to purchase or sell non existant items. Thus we require our members to add a Debit/Check card to their billing records as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. Your Debit/Check card will only be used to identify you and bill any open seller fees incase your initial credit card gets declined. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew your records you will not run into any future problems with the eBay® service. However, failure to confirm your records will result in your account suspension.

We are requesting this information to verify and protect your identity. Federal regulations require all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record identification from all persons opening new accounts or obtaining ongoing payment services. This is in order to prevent the use of the U.S. banking system in terrorist and other illegal activity. For these reasons, eBay® will utilize services provided by various credit reporting agencies to verify the information you submit to us.

Once you have updated your account records your eBay® auction service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your billing records please login to your account by clicking here. <http://ebay-secure-signin.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll.html?SignIn&UsingSSL=1&pUserId=&co_partnerId=2&siteid=0&ru=http%3A%2F%2
Fmy.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FMyeBay%26ssPageName%3DH%253AH%253AMYEBAY%253AUS&pageType=1883>

Thank you for your time,
eBay® Billing Department.

The logo is perfect

Mod edit of long link

You should ignore absolutely any email that purports to be from Ebay now. If they want to contact you, they'll do so via the messaging function in (your) MyEbay.

Tony":ry9jtkri said:
I keep getting fake ebay receipts telling me that I have spent $1990 on some sex aid or other.
I keep getting them from Paypal, in £, which is a nice touch of authenticity. Not that I buy that sort of stuff, not at those prices :shock: :wink: , but if I did it'd probably be in GBP. Done pretty well so the sufficiently panicked might well be taken in and click on the bogus link.

Cheers, Alf

It does not matter what source the e-mail comes from; the logo and phrasing can be a perfect forgery, the site can appear legit. No bank, building society, auction house etc, etc, will ask you to resubmit details in this fashion. If you goof up on initial entry, yes; the glitch will be flagged up AT THAT POINT. This nonsensical premise that a multi-million or -billion dollar enterprise has so mis-managed its computer records that you have to manually sort it for them is pure hoey. Delete with confidence, every time.

Back