New developments at Jet UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

While browsing around, I came across a few changes on the http://www.jet.uk.com/home.html page which I thought might be of interest. Not least the following:

Jet Tools & Machinery are aiming to launch another 20 major new products in the UK and Ireland during the remaining months of 2003 and many are to appear in conjunction with a new woodworking television series. The Great British Woodshop is to feature Jet Tools products alongside Titebond and Lamello and is scheduled to air in January '04. Presenter David Free is planning a series of innovative and modern woodworking projects with particular appeal for British viewers and which, of course, features only fully Euro compatible technology..

Presumably this will be for the benefit of fleecing devotees of the dish and cable, as us poor terestrial viewers are obviously not worth trying to sell to! :wink:

Anyway, take a look at the special offers too. They appear to be going into the "budget" line of stuff as well. All, presumably, to debut in the new Axminster catalogue minus the Jet stickers. :roll:

Yep, they're aiming to take over the world I tell ya! Look out Record, Scheppach et al; the white horde is upon you! Mwwwhhaahahahaha...

Cough. Hah hum... :oops: I'll just take the medication now then, shall I? :D

Cheers, Jester

Hello Jester
Thanks for this. Aparently the new Axminster catalogue is out - but only sent if you order something. But doesn't look like JET do a planer thicknesser. I guess the American market don't use 'em.
I'm off to Axminster now to have a look at what they have in.
I hope I don't get carried away!
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Jester

The only UK competition for "The Great British Woodshop" will be Smith & Sweetman (remember them) and Boyz in the Wood. Oh, I almost forgot John thingy!!!

It will be interesting to see if a UK show can be successful. Love him or hate him, Norm certainly has exceptional presentational skills.

Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know David Free - the presenter? Is he a woodworker or a tv man?

One of the best Uk guys I have seen on TV is Alan Holtham. Now, I would love to see a TV show based on Alan.

Cheers
Neil

Gidon,
The catalogue is out, but you have to order first?! Infamy! I remember the golden years when you got the blooming thing willy nilly... Ah well. Let's see, what do I "need"...? :wink:

Cheers, Jester

Jester
I picked up a catalogue yesterday. Main bit of interest to me was a new cast iron planer thicknesser they will be doing from the end of this month for £600. And I saw their sliding mitre saw. Good for the money but no sure what accuracy you'd get with it. Oh and they've added a laser on now!
Oh I remember when it was a hardback catalogue - oh them were the days! Still if you can't wait and can look up anything you're interested in?
Newbie_Neil - for me no program on sky comes close to Norm - but this new one sounds intriguing...
Cheers
Gidon

I have to agree that Norm has well developed presentational skills, he is also enormously competent with using power tools and produces good looking pieces of furniture.

He does seem to have a problem with hand tools though, he doesnt seem to have sharp chisels and (on the very occasional time he uses them) has to force them in a somewhat clumsy fashion. This goes for his hand sawing too (again very occasional use) - he doesnt appear comfortable with them at all...!

I posted this somewhere else but it seems appropiate here so forgive the reproduction

"Although I have enjoyed Norms TV prog at times I find it a little 'Pie in the Sky'. I mean, some of those machines he has got, most of us would never own in a lifetime. I suspect that all of the money I have ever spent over the years on DIY woodworking tools wouldn't come close to buying half of one of his machines. I find it very hard to relate to his projects, put together in a shop( should I say Barn) with tens of thousands of dollars of equipment. Of course it looks easy, he has some of the finest machines available.

I found the uk prog 'WoodWorks' on DHL a bit more down to earth, realistic and practical

John Revells prog 'Workshop that john built' wasn't bad on DHL, though at the finish his workshop started to resemble Norms :lol:

Still, enough of all this carping, back to my 7ft 6 x 15ft garage for a bit of real butchery " :D

cheers

Billzee

Gidon,

Meep meep eh? Nice drive-by on a visit to the Tool Mecca. :wink: I have actually, er, found the need (yes, need. Wanna make something of it? :p ) to order from them, so hopefully I'll have a copy in my own sticky mitts ASAP. I can't honestly remember hardbacks, but I do remember black and white. [Jester wanders off down Memory Lane for a moment, nips into the sweet shop at the end to buy a quarter of rhubarb and custards, and returns to the present - unwillingly]

'aving sa' w' - sorry, I'll just finish this sweet... that's better. Having said which, you haven't happened to glance at the larger bandsaws at all...? :oops: Anything new? Any of them down in price, or worse; up? :?: Bandsaw obsessives need to know... :D

Cheers, Jester

Jester
Well didn't look closely at the bandsaws - but the catalogue has 3 new for 2004 "pre-industrial" (so called Axminster Plus range) bandsaws which may interest you from £680 to £2000 in price. Having never chosen a bandsaw not sure what to quote but feel free to ask more if your catalogue hasn't yet arrived.
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon,

Sounds interesting, thanks. But I shall be strong and wait. :wink: Not least because the order came, but a new catalogue didn't. Sniff. Well if they want to play hard to get, so can I! :D

Cheers, Jester

Back