New desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came across this, not my design but i am going to adapt it, no drawers and a level desk top and no lower shelf. From memory they wanted £2700 for it, told the missus i would make her one instead!

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 53
Yeh thats a nice desk Sean.
Mine will be in the middle of the room.
I want it simpler and a bit more wow than functional.
I can see how they got £2700.

Jacob, think of it as a wide Claude Butler and you'll get on there no bovver :)

Jacob, think of it as a wide Claude Butler and you'll get on there no bovver :)
Which fantasy desk are you talking about - your steam punk offering or the S&M bondage table? o_O

I don'tknow what half those are, modern simplistic.

I've repeatedly found the styling of (apologies in advance) IKEA's "LILLÅSEN" desk caught my eye for being simple and modern, although it's probably not quite as modern as you're after, and also far too small to be practical.

Lillasen.jpg

Buuuuut...

Drawing some inspiration from the design of the working surface of that inexpensive sweedish offering, and some from the side table with the triangular frame in your first post, I could see a way to make something quite striking using a fabricated steel frame providing support, clad with timber of your choice, on a "foot" which is either very heavy, or secured to the floor.

See some hasty CAD (no textures, or rendering) of the kind of thought I had using a 300mm lead hemisphere as a foot, and a 800×1600 working surface with 3 off 395×500×55 drawers.

Desk Concept Open Drawer.jpg

Desk Concept Closed Drawer.jpgDesk Concept Side View.jpg

Should be good for a load of about 40kg at the furthest point from the foot, which is more than enough load support for use as a desk; but definately well into "form over function" territory compared to something conventional.

I got some louro faia veneer in the post the other week and they look fantastic, can't wait to see what they look like with a finish on.
Just to makke sure billw, your house is the one on the right isn't it. Just want to make sure, it's dark down that alley
:sneaky:

Are Silver Lining the yacht furniture people? I seem to remember that name from lots of F&C articles.

Are Silver Lining the yacht furniture people? I seem to remember that name from lots of F&C articles.
Can't answer that but a little reading on the website says that the owner (?) founder is a member of the Boddingtons family and client list is international. I first came across them from a very low key advert in one of the woodworking magazines 30 odd years ago. I dropped them a line asking for examples of what they made (we needed a dressing table at the time) and thought nothing more of it.
Some days later, a heavy A4 envelope landed on the doormat with embossed silver hallmark branding and half a dozen full gloss A4 photos of stunning dining and boardroom tables. I've been an admirer from a distance ever since. There's a big element of conspicuous consumption in a lot of their design which no doubt speaks to clients shopping for statement pieces, but the materials and I'm sure the craftsmanship are top end,. The inlaid metal striping that gave it's name to the business can be elegant and distinctive.

I did think about this theme. Some sculpture made this out of tricoya MDF.

Cropped.png

If it is to be freestanding in a room, with free space around, then a table gives you much more scope. I always found tables nicer to work at and especially for collaborative meetings. Fluid shapes like spiralling water may be appealing. Does it need to stand on the ground? Or could it suspend from a column from the ceiling - ie an upside down desk. Maybe on a discreet ceiling rail.

Latest posts

Back