New desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for ideas for a home office desk, will be a decent size 2m x 1m.
I want something modern, with a wow factor.

Couple of things I've seen which float my boat

gN4eREN.jpg

vnBEeFn.jpg

Any ideas?

Hi,
Looking for ideas for a home office desk, will be a decent size 2m x 1m.
I want something modern, with a wow factor.

Couple of things I've seen which float my boat

gN4eREN.jpg

vnBEeFn.jpg

Any ideas?

Here are some ideas from a magazine I have. Not all 'wow' factor but might give you some inspiration

Attachments

• 16115173976822222533790519032918.jpg
    16115173976822222533790519032918.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 16115174232645008478764181500461.jpg
    16115174232645008478764181500461.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 16115174863669105999320831561804.jpg
    16115174863669105999320831561804.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 16115175215648241907583308938461.jpg
    16115175215648241907583308938461.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 16115175426985696936307907565175.jpg
    16115175426985696936307907565175.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 26
First one does Wow, but could be a right royal pain in the whotsit to sit at as a desk, with the cross beam and 'log'. Reckon you'd need to try it out first to be sure it doesn't get in the way of your feet or legs

... something modern, with a wow factor. Couple of things I've seen which float my boat.

Any ideas?
Hmm, that's a rather open ended question. Am I right in thinking from the examples you found interesting that you like stuff that gives the erroneous impression that it's somewhat unstable, i.e., one cantilevered Vertigo, and one Valentino pointy triangle apparently resting on something that looks as though it could roll away? And maybe you like dark woods such as walnut, maybe oak, or striking wood veneers such as zebrano, and maybe not so fond of pale woods such as ash or maple?

Just trying to confirm your apparent preferences here in order to limit the potential suggestions for something you'd find endlessly unattractive and uninspiring, which could be almost anything at the moment from the pallet wood item currently showing in the General forum to an ornately marquetry covered, carved and gilt piece of serpentine fronted Louis quinze.

I've no particular suggestions even though I could come up with a few drawings of my own if someone set me a particular desk design challenge, ha ha. Slainte.

That Marc Fish desk is very fine.

Dr B - the key here is does it mainly need to look good or mainly need to be used?

Very nice desks can look less so once they have a couple of big screens on them, a keyboard, phones, some speakers and are festooned with cables. Solutions for that have been exercising my mind for years, without true success.

Hmm, that's a rather open ended question. Am I right in thinking from the examples you found interesting that you like stuff that gives the erroneous impression that it's somewhat unstable, i.e., one cantilevered Vertigo, and one Valentino pointy triangle apparently resting on something that looks as though it could roll away? And maybe you like dark woods such as walnut, maybe oak, or striking wood veneers such as zebrano, and maybe not so fond of pale woods such as ash or maple?

Just trying to confirm your apparent preferences here in order to limit the potential suggestions for something you'd find endlessly unattractive and uninspiring, which could be almost anything at the moment from the pallet wood item currently showing in the General forum to an ornately marquetry covered, carved and gilt piece of serpentine fronted Louis quinze.

I've no particular suggestions even though I could come up with a few drawings of my own if someone set me a particular desk design challenge, ha ha. Slainte.

Hi Richard,
I will have plenty of space, 9m x 4m with a couple of sofa's in there, very minimalist. I like dark woods, but stopped using exotics.
Don't want conventional, my favoite so far is the balancing one, rather than the cantilever.

Love the idea of that Droogs, but it's overly fussy in that design. May be something which could be adapted.

Are you looking for a art deco, neuvo or modernist style or sort of atomic deco or maybe even diesel punkish stlyle?

How about a spitfire wing eliptical shape that is suspended tensegrity style

you have me thinking all sorts of weird ideas

Don't want conventional, my favoite so far is the balancing one, rather than the cantilever.
Interesting design challenge there in adapting that Valentino triangle plus cylinder based console table to something suitable for a desk. The triangular base in that piece extends quite some way forward to the front edge which would leave you with limited leg room. At this point I can partially visualise incorporating a triangular shape(s) at one end to make it work, but so far it's all looking a bit cluttered and/or visually compromised if it's to accommodate room for legs as well as providing adequate stability for the whole plus incorporating necessary stiffness to an extended, essentially cantilevered, working surface.

It's one of those things that if a client were to say that the desk design must incorporate something akin to the inspiration piece's single triangle motif, plus something to add overall stability I'd need to go away and let the problem float around for a while. So far, my first impression is that its' a bit of a tough nut to crack, ha ha, although there's likely to be a solution. At this stage I don't have a suggestion, but to some extent it would depend upon how wedded you are to the idea of the triangle motif. If it's just the overall impression of something appearing to be somewhat unsupported, but is actually structurally sound that you're seeking that might open up the design solutions, but perhaps at the cost of straying too far from a focused source of design inspiration.

All the previous just some musings. Slainte.

A particular favourite of mine, is a Classic Mini desk that was featured on an early episode of Grand Designs.

1611663488385.png

Doesn't sound like what you're after, but I rave about this desk at any opportunity.

I find pinterest to be really helpful for inspiration. I generally keep a few boards that I save things I like to, irrespective of whether I would like them in my house, or whether they are relevant to the subject at hand. Then if I'm coming up with a specific design I will flick through my saved inspiration and see what I can incorporate into my design.

Latest posts

Back